screwing in tapcons into hollow brick

Hi, I am building a Lanai screen using Aluminum frames from HD. I have been trying to use tapcons to screw in the frame into the hollow brick.

Problem is when I try to drive the tapcon into the predrilled hole it just sits there rotating and doesn't go in.

I have tried drill bits of size 5/32, 1/8 and have varied the depth to see if that makes a difference. Nothing seems to work - the screw goes in about 1/2 inch but then keeps rotating there without going in further. If I apply pressure it does go in. But it comes off easily when I tug it to see if it went in straight.

Can any experts point me in the right direction? What am I doing wrong?

By the way I was able to screw in two screws properly. But that was it. Also I am NOT using a hammer drill.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Reply to
flash0777

You need to use the adapter that fits the tapcon. Has a hex head that removes to show the drill bit. Should be next to where you bought the tapcons.

Reply to
Bill

You do NOT need any special tool. You do need to drill the correct size lead hole. You probably do need a power driver, I don't know that you can put them in by hand.

1/4" diameter Tapcons require a 3/16 lead hole drilled at least as deep as the Tapcon or more. Apply plenty of pressure to insert the Tapcon, it should screw in. You say they just spin, if you have the correct lead hole you need to push harder - They are never going to screw in like a wood screw and will need to be pushed and turned the entire way. You mention hollow bricks, do you mean cement block? There are alternate fasteners that may work better for you. Toggles can work quite well in block, epoxy anchors with sleeves, Rawl plugs, cinch anchors, etc.

_____________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG