Cabin Door

I am building a log cabin on a river here in AK. The structure is up and this summer we are doing the doors and windows. I would like to build anice front door for the cabin out of local wood either spruce or birch maybe even aspen. I would like to 8" timbers as the door way with the door installed in the frame. 2 reasons for this. I need to beef up the front wall and straighten the existing log wall, {it is bowing a bit} so I thought the timbers with splines cut into the logs would help keep things solid as well as look great. I have searched the web looking for ideas but have come up empty. Would any of you have any ideas that may help. I am going to build this in the shop and transport it on site by boat so I have power tools needed to build it I just need a little direction. Thanks in advance. Alaska Bob

Reply to
Bob Boswood

First we'll need to speak the same language. If it's what I think you mean, the jambs (frame), are you thinking of "splining" the walls to it? Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Hey Bob, If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about how to prepare for installing the door, not building the door itself?

I admire your ambition. I am planning on building my own log cottage in the near future but my knowledge so far only comes from reading (lots of reading). A couple of books I have explain what I think you are trying to accomplish, i.e.. cutting splines. The Alaskan Log Construction Guide explains one method on pages 49-52. The whole guide can be downloaded for free from this website:

"Building with Logs" by Allan Mackie and "Log Construction Manual" by Robert Chambers are excellent in trying to describe, with photos and diagrams some of the "how to's" Good Luck!! I am planning on a taking a log construction course next year.

Keep your stick on the ice Tony

Reply to
Tony Mo

Yes I am going to use a rough cut 2x4 or 2x6 spline between the jambs and the log wall. The jambs being the 8" timbers. I was going to use a

6 0r 8" timber for the header as well joined to the jambs with a m/t joint.
Reply to
Bob Boswood