Cabin building in Finland

nice if it was sub-titled but still enjoyable

good crew there

looks like a real cozy place

the big question i had was how much time transpired between downing the trees and finishing the cabin

i guess the logs probably sat for 5-6 months before using

Reply to
Electric Comet

5 or 6 months may be the best conditions. But I believe if you check the old history books, ie Like Parin's Histories of various counties in th mid west US, you will find they did not wait that long. In many of these incidences they arrived in the Spring or early summer, fell the trees and built thier cabins because they need the shelter for the coming winter months.

I believe you will also see the same thing in the history of Alaska, and people who go to Alaska today and go native.

Of course these cabins were sometime considered temporary until they were able to aford the time to build their permanent cabin.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I've heard that they built the Sauna first, or what was to become the Sauna later.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Very interesting Traditional Wood Work. I enjoyed seeing the patience and pre-knowledge at work. I wonder if the termites eat those? You know when you use wood in a forest that is your residence, you also have resident termites...... and or other creatures who like to inhabit. John

nice if it was sub-titled but still enjoyable

good crew there

looks like a real cozy place

the big question i had was how much time transpired between downing the trees and finishing the cabin

i guess the logs probably sat for 5-6 months before using

Reply to
jloomis

Not sure how far north in Finland they were, but summer is pretty short. Winter pretty long. Looks like the felled the trees early in the winter, started building as soon as the snow was gone, and finished it just as the snow returned. Maximum 9 months start to finish would be my guess

Reply to
clare

I doubt termites are much of a problem where it is as cold over the winter as in Finland. Mink and wolverine might be a problem, along with Porcupines etc.

Reply to
clare

termites should not be a problem in that climate other bugs might be but maintenance would take care of that

Reply to
Electric Comet

when they felled the trees there was snow and i saw no snow during construction

that makes sense if you have no shelter you want to get some quick

in the video it seems they are building an additional living space

Reply to
Electric Comet

seems reasonable

I wonder when they added a stove as it has no fireplace

Reply to
Electric Comet