Milwaukee = Ryobi?

That's nothing new, the same product with different names, Had an employee who worked in a battery factory before the war (WWII) whose line put 5 different labels on the same battery coming down the line. So we are looking at vintage '35 to '40.

Reply to
Glenn

You're thinking of Dell's support. They've moved that overseas. They still build the computers in or near the country they sell them. Note that support is almost all labor.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Well, I just looked at the Milwaukee 18V hammer-drill I bought quite some time ago -- well before the TTI buyout. Care to guess where it says it was manufactured? (Hint--surprised me no end). :)

I have another bought just last year, but for the moment it's unaccessible so can't go look until the truck it's in gets back for a comparison examination...

Reply to
dpb

Well, it's clear that what they're assembling and/or manufacturing in the US can't be cheaper to ship halfway 'round the world than locally. Now whether they can make the same product(s) cheaper enough somewhere else in the world and still ship them in is, of course, another analysis entirely. _ALL_ I'm saying is there are still Milwaukee manufacturing facilities in the US in contrast to OP's apparent contention/belief that the TTI takeover meant cheap stuff of the same production line w/ Ryobi.

That production is worldwide now and has been for some time is not in contention, at least by me. I know full well that York/Delta/several other in the woodworking tools are the _same_ tool simply branded w/ _perhaps_ some slightly differing features/amenities and if your're really lucky, a little better qc on a Delta as opposed to York. Doesn't have any real bearing on the original post (at least as I read it) and the response I've made...

Reply to
dpb

My Dell, bought in February, says "Made in China".

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Dell computers for the US market are made offshore.

The cost of shipping a completed computer from Asia is more

Reply to
George

Dell computers are made offshore (including the ones customized just for you). They bring them in large cargo containers and then the cargo company opens the container and ships the individual units that are already boxed for shipment.

Reply to
George

Is it a laptop? Laptops for Dell (and most of the other major vendors) are made by a handful of Asian companies, and then branded as Dell, HP, etc.

Reply to
Tim Smith

That's not possible in the time frame of placing an order and getting delivery in only a few days. AFAIK, they still are assembling components in the US although I'm not sure whether it's in Austin and longer. Seems like I heard the built a new facility not too long (Nashville, maybe???) but don't know if it replaced or augmented existing facility/(ies)...

For the other note, there is no "Made In" sticker on my (relatively new) tower other than the individual components inside, but nothing applicable to the box itself as a whole...

Reply to
dpb

Nope. There was a long article about this a couple years or so ago:

Dell does have a factory in China. It makes the computers they sell in Asia. Their factory in Ireland makes computers they sell in Europe. And their three US factories make their computers for the US.

Reply to
Tim Smith

Most people would not consider Austin, Nashville, and Winston-Salem to be offshore. :-)

Reply to
Tim Smith

Only those moderately geographically literate in North America, I guess... :)

Reply to
dpb

How about answering why my three month old Dell says "Made in China" on the box as well as on the case.

Reply to
Matt Barrow

The laptops have been made offshore for ages. Last I looked, their desktops were still assembled in US (Using a lot of pacific rim components, of course.) Monitors are OEM'd by other vendors, presumably overseas, as are keyboards and mice and such. No idea where their consumer-grade machines like in the Sunday paper are knocked together.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Dimension 9200C fits...where?

Reply to
Matt Barrow

Why not? It only takes 16 hours to fly freight over from China. The "Dell factory" in Memphis is simply the Fedex hub. My nephew flys for them on that route. The stuff gets put in containers in China pre-addressed and ready to go. They open the containers here and put the package into the US parcel system. The label shows it came from TN.

Also it only takes 4 days for stuff to get here by boat. There are literally thousands of shipments brought in every day by boat.

Better report that so it can be tracked down. I hear they cut the pay in half for such mistakes so someone is going to get $8/month when they find them...

Reply to
George

Sorry *most* Dell computers for the US market are made offshore. As I explained earlier the "Nashville factory" is simply the point where cargo enters the US parcel delivery system. I don't know about Winston Salem but that may be another freight carriers hub.

And as someone else suggested you can also cross check this by looking at the label. Every one I have seen says "Made in China".

Reply to
George

Wifes office just got a bunch of new Optiplex machines which are their "business grade" units and they all have "Made in China" stickers.

Reply to
George

And it takes a hell of a lot longer than four days to see your merchandise. Containers usually have to be at the port three days in advance of sailing and it can take up to a week on this end to clear customs and be delivered. Door to door can easily be 3 to 4 weeks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

No, the Nashville factory is a factory:

Quote from that article:

A year ago, Stacey Shannon was making her living stapling bar-code tags on rugs at a Nashville carpet maker.

Today the 27-year-old works 25 miles down Interstate 40 in Lebanon, Tenn., and a world away, building desktop computers for Dell Computer Corp.

``I didn't think I'd actually know how to build a computer,'' Shannon said. ``Now I know how to build one like the back of my hand. It's easier than I thought."

More information on the various facilities Dell has in that area, and what they do:

Nope. It's a manufacturing facility:

A quote from that:

Dell's Winston-Salem plant will produce PowerEdge servers, PowerVault and Dell/EMC products, and OptiPlex and Dimension desktop computers primarily for the U.S. market. Winston-Salem's distribution advantages played into the company's site choice.

Here's an article on how Dell does things:

Reply to
Tim Smith