Main Power Panel about face

I would like some idea of the difficulties a licensed electrician would face for this project. Existing main panel is mounted in wood stud wall. I would like it turned 360=BA to open to a different room. Any comments will be welcome. TB

Reply to
tbasc

If you meant turn the electrical panel 180º, it would probably be fairly easy. In theory it would mean removing all the electrical wiring, cut a hole in the other side of the stud wall, remount the electrical panel, and reattach the wiring. Patch & paint where the panel was removed.

If the wiring is not in the wall, and is not long enough, there may be some rewiring to do. Also check with your building code, I know that here in Ontario, when adding something into a circuit, all wiring and fixtures beyond that point need to be to current code. I don't know about just relocating an item. If that is an issue and your house no longer meets current code, you may be required to rewire the entire house, or at least the portions that are sub-code.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Reply to
carolyn

" snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

You would still have to move the rooms :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

It might be easy. Maybe you can just twist it around and re-mount it. Maybe a little higher to take up slack in the wires.

Or it could be a royal pain if wires are going out the top, sides, and bottom and the main feed will not easily twist.

But if you want it done, just do it and rewire as needed. Depending on age and capacity of panel, might be a good time to upgrade (amperage)and/or install a larger panel (more slots).

Reply to
Bill

Would be nice idea - if I could. TB

Reply to