Adding Outlet to Gas Range

My old gas range had a duplex outlet mounted in the upper frame. There is no accessible outlet near the range and I used the range outlet for my slow cooker, bread machine etc. It kept the machines off the main counter as they spent the long hours needed to do their jobs.

My current range does not have this feature.

I'm pretty sure that I can find room in the upper panel of my range to mount an outlet, but I'm wondering about the "compliancy" of doing this. I would tap into the AC wiring where it enters the range and run the wires up to the panel along side the existing wiring harness.

Before you ask: The wall behind the range contains the ductwork for the second floor. There is no convenient place to put an outlet. The only open stud-space is either behind the range or behind the fridge. The area behind the small counter next the range is full.

What are your thoughts on adding an outlet to the range?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Can be done, but you may need a high temperature wire.

Given that a regular receptacle is difficult, look at using a surface run with product such as Wiremold that is made for your situation.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

they stopped making them that way because of safety issues.

do you totally lack counter space?

Reply to
hallerb

Second the motion on Wiremold. The product is used everywhere to make tidy electrical installations, but seldom in homes. For the modest price, it saves so much aggravation that it should be part of every DIY skill set. If your box store doesn't have all the trick Wiremold fittings you want look over the stock at a good distributor store. They will have extra long Wiremold conduit and other problem solvers.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Already considered that...and easily obtainable.

Are you suggesting putting an receptacle in a surface mount box and wiring it with a "extension cord" plugged into an existing receptacle? I'm not sure I'd like that look, but I had considered it. I didn't think that that would be compliant though.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What safety issues are you referring to? I would have thought they were just saving money - raise the price but cut the features.

Totally? No, but it's a small kitchen with *limited* counter space. The counter next to the range rarely get used so it's a perfect spot for "long term" use of the slow cooker and bread machine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Already considered that...and easily obtainable.

Are you suggesting putting an receptacle in a surface mount box and wiring it with a "extension cord" plugged into an existing receptacle? I'm not sure I'd like that look, but I had considered it. I didn't think that that would be compliant though.

*I doubt that anything you do to this stove will be compliant and you can kiss whatever warranty that you have goodbye. You could try contacting the factory to see if there is an accessory kit available.
Reply to
John Grabowski

No, the way you use wiremold is to take an existing outlet (like the outlet your gas range plugs into) and replace the face plate with a wiremold extender box that projects past the finish wall. That allows you to get started on your wiremold run at a power source. Then use run the raceway on the surface of the wall to your desired outlet location.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Take a look here

Ed Pawlowski

Range is well outside the warranty period.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks! I looked at the Wiremold site and found the parts I would need.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks! I looked at the Wiremold site and found the parts I would need.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not good. When it comes time to buy a new range, all you will think about is that damn electrical outlet. The best solution is to install a new outlet coneniently located near the range.

Reply to
Phisherman