replace chain switch on fan motor

I have a large Patton fan and the pull chain switch used to select on-off-high-low needs to be replaced. I've removed the long screws that hold the front and back covers on the motor and these covers now freely rotate on the fan shaft but I can't remove them to get access to the switch. What's the trick to get the end cover off of the motor?

TIA

John Keith snipped-for-privacy@juno.com

Reply to
John Keith