Granite Cutout

Seems to me like you did a pretty good job of explaining it.

Reply to
crhras

Exactly.

Not only that. Have you considered whether there is clearance for the router and the polishing tools at the backsplash? Those are not small tools.

Reply to
John Reddy

Sorry, I didn't mention that this is completely new construction. The slabs will be fabricated in a large garage with access to water, etc. and then installed over the cabinets.

Reply to
crhras

I would say you will still be looking at quite a chore. The only experience I have with the process is having had to cut unfinished edges on a few granite counter tops and the occasional faucet/sprayer hole. I have done a bit of concrete polishing as well.

Like I said before. Perhaps going with a bit more simple shape (square edge, eased) you could perhaps make something work. You have to realize that you will have vast amounts of water (read hundreds of gallons) and the associated slurry to deal with. This grinding and polishing is normally done on a fabricating table which collects this water and slurry to a settling tank for reuse. You could perhaps build a quick grinding table out of ply lined with poly and a shower drain in one end run to a few 55 gallon drums. Pump out of the drums to grind/polish and let them settle out overnight. Set your slabs up on a couple blocks inside the table.

With high quality smooth diamond blades on your saw, a good guide, and water, you could perhaps come out with smoother rough cuts minimizing polishing. Square edges eased would eliminate the need for the routing step. Its a major undertaking but your posts sound like you are determined.

A good trial, and probably the cheapest, would be to go to a granite supplier and ask them if you could buy a few of their scabs (broken corners, scraps, and so on). Take them home and get started. You will have to invest in the equipment for the tests but at least you wont be out the time on the actual pieces and the material if you find its too difficult.

Finding an affordable saw that will allow you to wet cut without getting fried may be a tough one. I have seen small trim saw sized hand held cutters with water feeds for sale at the home centers however with the amount of cutting you will have I would suggest buying them by the dozen and a lot of blades. Perhaps a decent but cheap double insulated circular saw and rig up your own water feed. Buy a pair of insulating rubber gloves and work of a GFI. The GFI will probably trip continuously but you at least wont get fried. Cutting the slabs dry will result in a tremendous amount of grinding and polishing.

Good or bad it would be interesting to hear your results, Mark

Reply to
M&S

Thank you very much for your comments. I was thinking that I could cut the granite dry and then grind the rounded surfaces before polishing. That's what the granite tool supply shop told me i could do. They should know what they are talking about but you never know. Since you are interested, I will keep the group posted. Probably wont' start this project for a couple more weeks.

Reply to
crhras