Extending Building Building

I'm working on a potential extension, and need to know some of the following.

When building this or even planning this extension what legislations or hurdles will I have to overcome to make it a reality. (Other than the actual building of it itself)

I know about:

Building regulation requirement,

And

Planning permission

What else is there.

Any solutions to avoid any possible hurdles would also be welcome.

Reply to
Nobody

Reading between the lines I would say you are probably based in the UK like me. Can I recommend the forum here because the alt.building.construction newsgroup is mostly USA based...

Planning Permission ================

Planning Permission may not be required. Small extensions are sometimes possible without PP because they come within "Permitted Development Rights" See "Extensions" on this site...

Be aware that PDR are sometimes removed when PP is granted for the original building or an earlier extension. Check with the local planning office. If PDR have been removed in the past then PP will be needed and might be harder to get.

If PP is required for your extension I recommend the book "How to get Planning Permission" by Roy Speer and others. Try for the most recent edition you can find as the rules change. Was on Amazon last time I looked.

Planning Guidance ================

Some councils publish Planning Guidance documents which include advice on local architectural features that should be included or not included. Here is an example of one councils guidance notes on "Dormer Windows" showing examples of shapes that are deemed "acceptable" or "unacceptable". Many other similar documents may exist. Some councils are better than others at providing such guidance documents..

Building Regulations ================

This comes after Planning Permission. PP is often seen as a subjective process where as Building Regulations is much more objective. Once you have PP it's not normally a problem to get Building Regulations approval.

For large projects you have to make a Building Control Application in advance of starting work. The Building Control Officer at the council will want a set of drawings and may request some calculations be done to justify the design (eg size of beams and lintels) or to demonstrate compliance with the Building Regulations (eg level of insulation). Once he's happy he grants permission to start work. For simple projects you can avoid the need for drawings, file a Building Notice and start work. However this relys on the builder knowing what he's doing. If not you could find out later that the BCO wants something taken down and redone so that it meets the regs.

Covenants ============

Check your house deeds because their might be conditions in them that prevent or restrict what you can build. My garden has a covenant on it that says I cannot keep pigs.

Choosing a Builder ===============

Seek recommendations, go see work they have done for other people, get three quotes.

Never just ask how much will it cost to build. Sit down and write a "Request for Quote". This is typically a list of everything you want done plus a set of construction drawings (eg typically the drawings done the Building Regs Approval but can be more detailed). Send the RFQ to three builders. One of the most common problems people have is with money. They make the mistake of not getting a detailed written quote then towards the end of the project the builder says something like... "My quote didn't include laying floor tiles, painting the walls, disposing of the rubbish or repairing damage to the lawn etc etc. When you get the quotes back don't just look at the total. Check they have made the same assumptions. Suppose you told the builder that you wanted to choose the bathroom suite, check that they have both included the same amount of money as a place holder. Otherwise you aren't comparing like with like.

Before you accept a quote agree timescales and payment schedule. Have someone else check the schedule is reasonable or you can end up having paid

90% of the money with only 50% of the work done. If the builder is a crook he will dissapear as it's not worth coming back for the last 10%.

That's a bit rushed and I'm out of time. See you on the ebuild forum.

Reply to
Cwatters

Planning Engineering Drawings Ideas..... Money

Reply to
jloomis

You are asking "what don't I know". You are the only one that can answer that.

Ask specific questions if you want useful answers.

RicodJour