Cutting fiberglass bat insulation questionn

I need to cut a bunch of kraft backed fiberglass insulation to length. My box cutter is making a mess of this.

Any tips on how to get a nice clean cut?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
wess

Sharp blade on utility knife and use a scrap piece of 2x4 to compress and as a guide.

Reply to
George

You can buy a Ziggy which is a plastic attachment for your gyp knife that pushes down the insulation so you can get to the paper.

Having tried many things, the very best is a butcher knife. Use a belt sander to keep a keen edge on the knife. Cuts about the same on either side of the insulation, but the fuzzy side up works the best.

Reply to
DanG

That is a neat looking attachment.

Now that you mention it, I used a meat cutters knife the last time I did this 25 years ago.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
wess

=A0My box cutter is

I used an old bread knife

Reply to
djenkins6

Usually I use large scissors, or sometimes a large *sharp* knife. Knife gets dull very fast, scissors will also dull over time.

Reply to
PeterD

Lay the batt on a piece of plywood wide enough to support the cut. Lay a T-square across the intended area of cutting for use as a cutting guide. Using a sharp knife, both edge and point, cut, don't tear, into the paper intitially. Using multiple passes, slowly cut into the fiberglas. When you think you're done, make some more passes with the knife anyway.

Reply to
Grasshopper

=A0My box cutter is

Hedge clippers also work well.

RicodJour

That's how I've done it for years...

Reply to
benick

cut a slot in a piece of plywood, lay the insulation over the slot and use a nice sharp bread (or ginsu) knife. Works great!

Reply to
Steve Barker