Correct Beam Spacing for Shed Roof

-------------------------------------

Hello,

Back in September I had a construction company add a patio cover/shed roof to the back of my house. Since then I've noticed an ever so slight sagging of the longest beam. It's a pretty long stretch and I'm wondering if it's too long. The cover/roof consists of: Composite shingles (and a rubber underlayment called ice something)

2x6 rafters spaced 14 inches apart (cedar) 5/4 deck boards (think that's right) 1 6x6 post (cedar) 2 4x8 Beams (cedar)

One beam is about 14ft (from where it ties into the house and to the post) One beam is about 18ft (from where it ties into the house and to the post)

The shorter beam is perpendicular to the main part of the house and the longer beam is parallel to the main part of the house and ties near the garage. Here's a text picture that hopefully works correcty:

----------Main House Ext Wall---------- | | | | | | | | | | | | | x |

---------------------------------------

'x' marks the post (there's about a foot overhang beyond the post in each direction and it is taken into account in my measurements)

So, I guess the question is if there should've been another post added on the long span? If there should've been, can you point me to a document, specification or something I can use to go back to the contractor with?

I had this done during other work and I thought there was a building permit that included the cover. As it turns out there wasn't so the cover was installed without a permit.

I appreciate any information you can provide!

TIA, Richard

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 15847 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
rman10

[...]

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.building.construction - 15848 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
rman10

rman10 had written this in response to

: Looks like the txt picture didn't work. Anyway, it's a 14x18 roof (not including tie point in the wall of about another foot). I also forgot to add that I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Not much snow but we do get ice from time-to-time and some pretty heavy winds.

Thanks, Richard