Coffered Ceiling question

I am putting in a coffered ceiling in my dining room as part of a major remodel. The old ceiling is already down and once I install the new recessed lighting frame-in kits, I will be ready to reinstall the new ceiling.

The question is this.

Since I need to install a new ceiling, should I just put up some 5/8" sheetrock or perhaps 1/2" plywood as the base for the coffered ceiling?

Thanks.

Reply to
GreenGA

Some of the answer depends a bit on what is above. If there is living space above, code may well require the fire resistance of gyp. If it is attic structure, I would put up wafer or ply to insure nailability wherever needed. I assume you are talking about a full wood coffered ceiling that will be stained and finished.

Reply to
DanG

Actually, the ceiling will be painted, and, there will be a living space above. It sounds like I should just go with the 5/8" sheetrock and "build" the coffers on top of that.

Reply to
GreenGA