Are all neutral wires in 120 volt residential shared?

I'm adding a 120 Volt outlet to a duplex apartment. I have one 120 volt hot wire that needs a neutral to complete the circuit. The problem is the neutral wire I found is in a wall that is shared with the neighbor. I'm not sure who's neutral wire this is, the neighbors or this unit. It does produce 120 volt upon testing both wire. However, I'm pretty sure it's the neighbors neutral wire and they are on a separate electrical meter. Are all neutral wires in 120 volt residential shared?

Reply to
Stan

In the case of a duplex with separate meters, separate primary breaker panels, and separate grounding rods, the only thing that is shared is the ground/soil itself electrically. There is good reason for that. The only thing that a duplex should share physically is a foundation, an adjoining wall, and roof.

Reply to
Grasshopper

You shouldn't use that neutral even if you determine that it returns to your panel rather than the neighbor's.

"All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment-grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted"

If you google appropriate portions of the code quoted above you can learn more, including the rationale.

Where are you finding this hot wire you're thinking of using?

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Reply to
Cwatters

Sounds like you are getting your hot wire from the wrong place. Go find somewhere that has both.

Reply to
Cwatters