Aerobic sewer system

We recently bought a house with an aerobic system using a drip bed. The previous owner had overloaded the system filling it with sludge then disconnected the supply line allowing it to run out on the ground (he had 7 kids and at one point had multiple families living in the house). I've had two septic companies recommend that I do away with the drip bed and go to a sprinkler system but I've had trouble scheduling either of them to come by and give me an estimate. I can easily run the lines and install the sprinkler heads but I wonder if there is a standard capacity pump (GPM) and how much water the system discharges during each pumping (it's on a float system). If not, I guess I would have to pull the pump and check the nameplate data but hate to do that if not necessary. Also, anyone recommend a chlorinator and filter system and where to purchase them? Thanks -any advice is appreciated.

Reply to
REMOVE

Depending on your location you will likely have some health department issues with doing any of the work yourself. In many rural locations the homeowner is allowed to do simple leach systems with the approval (many areas require you to pass a test) and inspections from the health department. I however have not heard of a health department that will allow anyone other than a certified installer to install or work on aerator or pump type systems. This would also be the case for distributors of the components of the systems (aeration tanks etc). They likely will not sell to a non certified individual.

If you are in an area where you dont care then its a different story. That said, I dont have any input on the sprinkler system. I would just be careful that whatever you do on your own doesnt negatively impact your property from later sale.

Mark

Reply to
M&S

Your septic tank would be definitely in question based on your info. Get it pumped out first before proceeding. You have a 3 stage septic tank, I imagine.

Message ID info says you're in SE TX area. State of TX has laws in place where the county is responsible for septic system installation supervision. If in a municipality since the septic system was finished, you may be subject to those rules and laws as well.

Ask your local licensed septic system installation serviceman about above ground conventional leech field system. Will eliminate health hazard concerns regarding sprinkler discharge.

Reply to
Noncompliant