Washing Laundry with Salt

I recently purchased on of those front loading washing machines, a Whirlpool Duet Sport, and find that my wash always end up smelling like detergent (All 2X Ultra HE) even though I have reduced the amount of the liquid that I use and always set the Extra Rinse Option to ON. So, I called Whirlpool Customer Service the other day and asked what if anything can be done and they suggested that I add salt to the wash to counteract our very soft water where I live. This seems a bit odd, but I will give it a try.

So, would Kosher salt be better than regular table salt? What about sea salt - would my clothes smell like the sea?

See

replies to date.

Reply to
Walter

I'm very surprised the manufacturer suggested the use of salt which can quickly cause rusting of metal parts. Use a no-scent detergent. Soda ash or Borax added to the wash and vinegar added to the rinse will help. Outdoor laundry drying in the sun removes most odors.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't know about salt for that. We have a water softener which uses salt, and one of the results of soft water is that I must use the barest minimum of detergent or I will never get the suds out. I put white vinegar in the cup which is supposed to hold liquid fabric softener and that seems to help get the soap out, too.

Reply to
Dottie

Reply to
enigma845 via HomeKB.com