Removing wax from wool

I was lighting candles last night, and one of them dripped on my fiancee's expensive new wool coat. Is there anything I can do to clean it?

Thanks, Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

If it is expensive, I would take it to the cleaners. So far you have one strike against you for getting wax on the coat. You don't need another strike for making it worse! ;)

Reply to
Vox Humana

Hi Adam

White spirit will remove the wax but don't dig at the fibres use the reverse end of a spoon to break the wax up.

Take a look at

and click through to the wax stain example. Also if you go to the ironing section there's a step-by-step pictorial example of removing wax.

Hope this helps

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean

Try using a hair dryer on medium to loosen the wax. Just warm it up, don't try to completely melt it. Once loosened, scrape it with a plastic scraper. You will gets almost all it it out this way with patience. You can also iron the garment USING A WOOL SETTING with an absorbent terry towel on both sides of the garment. This will transfer a lot of the wax to the towels. It may casue some of the wax to penetrate further into the wool so do this at your discretion. If it is a different color (like red wax, white wool, etc.) then a professional cleaning may be the only total answer.

Good luck!

Reply to
Prof. Sunshine