lexan plastic bowel stain

i have a food processor--processor bowel is clear plasstic--i suspect lexan

ran some dried chilli peppers through it to pulverize--what was left was a very superficial stain ( rd color of the petters0 tried, detergent, oxy stain dremover and dish waser powder and ver very fine pummice--bleach does not remove it

any suggestions on how to remove it?--i suspect there are plastic polishing compound out there but not usee it would work as pummice did not tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

Proctor and Gamble has a new product called Cascade Plastic Booster. It is designed to remove red lycopin stains from plastics.

Vox Humana

Vox Humana

i dont know if this went through so reposting it

got the cascade plastic boost--seems to be mainly benzoyl peroide--smeared it on stain no results--mixed it with cascade powder and will see what is left in am

incidently tried sodium hydroxide to no avial

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

On Wed 06 Apr 2005 08:00:31p, ilaboo wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

I have to ask... Is it that earthshatteringly important to rid this workbowl of the stain? After all, it *is* a *work* bowl. For what you're paying in cleaning products, you'll soon be able to buy a replacement.

As a long time user of food processors, I have to stay that while I've never had a stain, my bowls eventually turn almost frosted from the abrasion chopped hard foods like nuts, frozen cranberries, etc. It's an expected condition that I have no problem living with.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Vox Humana

tried the plastic booster--benzoyl peroxide--made paste with cascade dishwashing powder--took most of it off overnight will repeat it

looked up the chemistry of lucoprene--beta carotene--bonds look difficult to break--suspect alkalinety of powder releasted hydorgen peroxide from benzoly peroxide and that 's what did it

interesting stain to remove

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

Wayne

i agree it is not a major problem other than understanding the chemistry

i kind of aggravates me to have a bowel ( it is in front of a white refrigerator) that has a red strip similar to that of the titanic--also if the bowel is capable of being stained it also suggests that the bowel cannor bve disinfected--i would never process chicken in it now

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

ilaboo

read up on beta carotene--probably what is causing the problem--it reacts with oxygen to form a ...colorless compound--merck index

planing on playing with high concxentraion of hydrogen peroxide so;utions found in hair bleaching products---some i believe can be over

30 % peroxide--i believe the Germans used something like this to fuel a submarine!!
Reply to
ilaboo

On Thu 07 Apr 2005 04:49:12p, ilaboo wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

-----

I think almost anyone would find this aggravating! (sorry, Peter, I couldn't resist)

FWIW, there may have been some kind of chemical reaction that caused the stain to set so indelibly. Not a matter of permeating below the surface of the plastic.

If you wash your f/p parts in the dishwasher, I wouldn't think that processing raw meats would be much of a hazard.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Try this. Don't know about chili pepper dust, but it works great on other stains and scratches on Lexan.

By the way, it's "bowl" not "bowel."

Reply to
Tom Miller

Tom

i tried pumice to no avail--i think what happened is that something got caught between the edge of the blade and the bowl and the pepper material actually got welded into the plastic from the heat

i dont know if i posted what worked but plastic booster with paste made of it and cascade dishwasher soap took iot off after 2 attemps overnight--plastic booster says copntaions benzoyl peroxide--merch index for beta cartotene says it turns colorless when exposed to oxygen

fwiw

peter

Reply to
ilaboo