How much time to spend cleaning?

I live by myself in a one-bedroom apartment. I work from home as well. I think it would take an hour a day to keep it reasonably clean, two hours to have it spotless. That's including laundry. Does that sound right? How much time do you spend cleaning?

Reply to
Karen Newton

10-12 hours a day lol

I find the only time I'm not cleaning or picking stuff up is when I'm sleeping... Then again, I live with my children in a 3 bedroom townhouse with 3 levels. Then there's the dog and the cat... I think it would take an hour a day of sleeping (the rest cleaning) to have it spotless in here... Laundry... Let's not even go there ;)

On a somewhat serious note... I probably spend a couple hours just keeping the place somewhat in order each day. Usually after the kids are down, I spend an hour or so just picking things up and all that. I save a weekend day for actual cleaning, and on that day, I probably spend about 6 hours cleaning to have it as spotless as possible (which really isn't realistic lol)

Reply to
xkatx

If you live alone (without a pet) in a small or medium-sized one bedroom apartment without a lot of furniture and clutter-type decor, one hour per day would keep it quite nice.

You can do a lot in an hour--probably much more than you think.

You could straighten up and declutterize (and wash dishes) every day, and then spend a couple of hours actually cleaning the apartment it once a week. If you hired someone to come in and clean, she would be able to do it even in less than two hours, for example. (Without the laundry part.) That's probably what most of us do----pick up daily and then do concentrated cleaning in one fell swoop every week or so. If I really try to clean everyday, I kind of become compulsive about it, and I can't really live that way for long. There are too many more fun things to do.

Or you could dust the whole apartment one day, vacuum the next, etc. You don't have to do all the various cleaning steps every day, unless that is the schedule that you end up liking best.

Keeping you apartment spotless may be a higher standard than you need. I can remember women of my mother's generation saying in the 50s & 60s: "My kitchen floor is clean enough to eat off of." Well, why would you need to eat off of your kitchen floor? That's over-kill. I have a magnet on my frig which says, "A spotless house is a sign of a life mis-spent."

Best Wishes----

Donna

Reply to
Donna in Texas

Heh... I like that one... I picked up a magnet for my mom one year for either her birthday or Christmas (her bday is the day after Xmas so it's hard to remember) that says, "Good mothers have sticky floors, dirty ovens and happy children" Kinda swung off topic, but still kinda on topic as far as maybe realistic cleaning goes? Or something?

Reply to
xkatx