New iRobot Dirt Dog? (2023 Update)

Does anyone have a Roomba?

I'm a bachelor who hates cleaning and am in need of new vac anyway and thinking of getting one of these robots

IRobot has a new model out called Dirt Dog

see link

Could this unit be used on front room carpet?

Reply to
me

What odd quirk of fate caused snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net to generate the following ::

I have a Discovery SE. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. You may want to check out: >

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

My son and his wife have a Roomba. It works pretty well. They have hardwood floors and don't have a lot of furniture or clutter, so it works out well for them. They have a large dog, and the Roomba gets all the hair up. My son was saying that if you had a lot of things for the Roomba to bump into, it probably wouldn't work as well.

Reply to
janerene

How so?

In what ways?

Reply to
me

I used to have hardwood floors and it did a great job picking up the dirt. I have 2 pugs and a cat. The only things you have to be careful of are electrical cords, and carpet fringe. I ended up Roomba proofing my house (instead of child proofing).

There is a bit of maintenance with it...cleaning the brushes and emptying the cup but I find that less objectionable than doing the vacuuming myself. Still you occasionally need to take the regular vacuum out to do a definitive job. It doesn't do a job equal to a regular vacuum but if you hate vacuuming and still want a good job done, I think it's a great option.

I would also suggest buying it from Hammacher Schlemmer. It is full price but they offer a lifetime guarantee. My Roomba recently started doing weird things and they sent me a brand new unit. Certainly worth the paying of full price.

I also bought a scheduler so it vacuums at predetermined times.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

I have a Roomba (although not the Dirt Dog version). It is great for getting pet hair and surface dirt. You do have to clear certain things out of its way -- papers, cords, etc. It does a nice job (and easy!!!) for surface dirt, but it's not powerful enough for "deep" cleaning. So, I also have a Dyson for when I do the cleaning "myself."

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

I agree the Roomba is good stuff. I bought a Scooba cause I liked the Roomba so much. I have absolutely no need for the Dirt Dog and in fact had no idea it even existed. Cute name though. ~~Meg~~

Reply to
Meg

How do you like the Scooba? I like the Roomba but have hesitated to put that much money into a floor washer. On the other hand, I'm lazy enough to consider it if it isn't a lot of trouble to clean out and maintain.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

I have had a Roomba for some time now, and I just got a Scooba about a week ago, I am a tech geek totally. MaryL let me tell you it does the job and so far it hasn't been at all a problem cleaning it out. Pretty much lift a rubber tab and let the dirty water spill out. I have had to clean two filters out but very simple. Just take it out and rinse. Scooba is well worth the wait for me, I was in the same boat, I didn't know if it was worth the cost but am pretty happy to have it now.

IGKG

MaryL wrote:

Reply to
IgotKG