Ever cleaned your fabric softner dispenser?

OK, I think of myself as a rather clean person. I keep my home clean, and I am nearly obsessive-compulsive about keeping my clothes clean.

Recently, I noticed that I could remove the cap to the fabric softener dispenser on my washing machine. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I was horrified at what I saw. I have been using this particular washing machine for about 4 years but didn't realize I could clean the dispenser. What I found was literally an inch of the most disgusting black, gooey gunk I've ever seen in my life. Residue from the fabric softener had accumulated and clung to the dispenser.

I had to take a steam blaster and an old case knife to remove the debris that had been left behind. The process took me about an hour.

The most distressing aspect is that I realized that the residue was going into the laundry every time I used the dispenser. I prefer liquid fabric softener over dryer sheets, but I'm not sure I'll ever use that fabric softener dispenser again!

Reply to
cvcgrad

accumulated

Been there. My washer broke a couple years ago. When the service man came he showed me that the fabric softener dispenser was removable. The amount of crud built-up around and under the dispenser was horrifying. He removed the inner drum and showed me how the fabric soften had been spun around the top of the outer tank. I was never able to remove all the residue. He told me that I was using far too much softener and that it wasn't diluted enough. I eventually changed to drying sheets. They do an adequate job and cost half as much as the liquid softener. I also stopped using softener on most item like towels.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Like VOX suggested, dilute your fabric softener in half (or more) with tap water, mixing well in a separate container before adding to the dispenser. Chances are good you'll get the same result with your laundry, cut down on the build up, and save a little money. You can use clear vinegar in the dispenser (I do this every time)--this will clean the dispenser, remove odors in clothes, neutralizes the alkalinity of detergent, and improves the overall rinse process. Purchase the inexpensive clear vinegar in the gallon container (I buy it at Walmart).

Reply to
Phisherman

I actually do dilute the fabric softener by adding two capfuls of water to the dispenser each time. This was just the normal build up from using fabric softener each time I did laundry.

I had read somewhere before that fabric softener are actually made from animal fat. If I didn't believe it before, I do now. This was a very thick gooey residue.

Reply to
cvcgrad

I concur. I buy the concentrated form of fabric softener and once I had to clean my dispenser I began cutting way back on the amt. of softener I use. I've noticed build up happens less often, and my clothes are actually softer.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I myself use the downy ball and have been pleased with the results...btw...you do not have to use Downy in them, any fabric softener works just as well.

Reply to
lilsis0034

I myself use the downy ball and have been pleased with the results...btw...you do not have to use Downy in them, any fabric softener works just as well.

Reply to
lilsis0034

How does your dispenser work? My liquid-detergent dispenser lets some of the fill water in. It dilutes the detergent and causes some to overflow into the tub. In coming into the dispenser, the water drives the air out of what becomes a siphon channel when the water shuts off. So the rest of the dilute detergent is siphoned into the tub. It leaves the dispenser pretty clean.

I pour bacon grease into my rinse water to make dogs love me. If I could find a fabric softener made from fat, I'd love to try it.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

LOL! What are you, a mailman? I'll have to give this hint to the UPS guy who comes here. My dog hates him.

-- Happy New Year! Piper

Reply to
Piper

I never use fabric softener at all....instead use dryer balls....no chemicals. Go to snipped-for-privacy@dryerballs.com .....saw them at a recent Home Show. Been using them at least a year and they do everything they claim.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I'm not sure how mine works. But I put about =BC capful in, the rest=20 water, and I do wash it out occasionally because it does get a little=20 built up.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

That's an email address. Dryerballs.com takes you to Nellie's laundry in BC. They have two products. The other is washing soda at $10 a pound.

Dean Kruger invented dryer balls. He tells his story at Amazon dot com. He doesn't like having the Canadians knock his balls off. What's more, they charge three times more for their counterfeits.

I wondered which one was the crook until Kruger said he lives in Rogue River OR. Only an honest man would admit that.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

That's all very well Muvin but we're not all lucky enough to have tumble dryers. In England the weather is rather wintery and there's a cutting wind, my poor hands are so cold as I peg out my wet washing I really could cry. Perhaps it's time I bought myself a small one, not that I have room mind you -I would have to keep it covered with a cloth and have it double up as a TV stand. If I do so I will certainly think about your balls.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

I thought this was a "family" rated newsgroup!

Reply to
Vox Humana

ROFLMBO!! Me, too!

-- Happy New Year! Piper

Reply to
Piper

You could dry your laundry and watch TV at the same time. Multi-tasking - while you think about Muvin's balls. LOL!

-- Happy New Year! Piper

Reply to
Piper

so sorry about that folks......did not think to check that it was an email addy and not a website for info. How do you hang clothes out to dry in England in the winter? I live in Washington state where it rains all the time in winter months.....the clothes would never have a chance to dry at all.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

Rogue River, Oregon? Just learned an old high school classmate lives there.

Reply to
Muvin Gruvin

I wonder which company it is. Amazon.com offers dryerballs from several.

You get Nellie's if you go for dryerballs.com.

Kruger's is dryerball.com. It takes a long time to load because he displays a high-resolution picture of his balls sunning on a towel at the beach. If you buy through his page, you pay $24 and have to use paypal. Amazon.com says asseenontv.com is a much cheaper source for that brand.

Kruger has advertised that customers report clothes dry in 20% less time with his balls. His page merely says they save energy. I wish he'd taken the time to test it. Some clothes may dry quicker, but I think they would take about the same amount of energy.

Clothes can dry pretty well even when it's below freezing. The speed depends on humidity, sun, and wind. I'll agree that if it's raining hard, clothes won't dry very well no matter how sunny or windy it may be.

During the heating season, indoor air tends to be dry. Before dryers, people used folding drying racks indoors.

Reply to
Sawney Beane

"=A0I'll agree that if it's raining hard, clothes won't dry very well no matter how sunny or windy it may be."

Huh??? Raining hard and sunny??? At the same time???

Reply to
tomkanpa