Clothes stink after drying

Hey All,

I have recently moved home and am using a new washing machine and drying system. When I wash my clothes, they appear to be ok and not smell (when wet, so this isn't saying much).

This is the wierd part... my clothes smell okish from the outside, but absolutely stink of vomit from the inside. I don't use a normal dryer... in my bathroom I got this special extractor/heater/dryer thing in the ceiling. I just hang my clothes below it (not on hangers, but on a rail), set the timer, and it blows hot air over them. Am thinking this or humidity or something might be the problem, but am not sure... I mean how do you get this smell from nowhere?!?!?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Raj

Reply to
deja user

Hi Raj,

The answer is - you don't get a smell from nowhere.

In dry cleaning a vomit type odour is associated with bacteria in the solvent. I would expect that you are experiencing a similar problem, something stuck somewhere in your machine or drier that is slowly degenerating and being eaten by bacteria.

I would suggest you try to find any built up lint in the machine and check the exit pipe in case there's any socks stuck. Then run an emty load on full boil initially with a strong household ammonia mix and then include a lot of bleach. If this gets rid of the odour (even just for a time) then you can repeat the process again in the future. If not it may be that the rubber in the machine is rotting (ask the manufacturer if that's happened in their experience).

If it doesn't get rid of the smell then change the way you're drying the clothes to see if that changes things. Heated conditions are prime for growth of bacteria and if the outer of a garment becomes hot but the inside damp it may be that a growth of bacteria happens on the inner of the garments. Dry naturally or use a dryer.

Hope this helps

-- DrClean

The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Reply to
DrClean