To: Don, 3D, Cato, Noral & Pierre;

Thanks guys, for all the great assistance. I'm on my way to building, just got the plans from the Arch. and he include ideas for the studio.

Will keep in touch and let you guys know how this are progressing. After the studio is in (I'm guessing 10 to 12 months) We can all hook up and jam/record. If you don't play an instrument, you can drink homemade brew, and If you don't drink, you can smoke some herb and if you don't smoke, thats ok too.

Rick Bass players Drink Bass and Hopme Brew

Reply to
Rick Bass

I look forward to hearing about it. As far as jammin goes, I'm for it.

One thing though, I'm currently in a Haircut 100 Tribute band, so my knowledge of songs is a bit limited, so you'll have to take it easy with all that jazz, blues and rock stuff. LOL

Still trying to figure out why we aren't getting any gigs. Ideas anyone?

Reply to
Cato

Every year now for the past 5 years, my friend John (aka Chico) and his wife Amy and their kids have several dozen friends, a few NYC club bands and other miscellaneous musicians get together at his house in the Catskills to camp out, party and jam over Columbus Day weekend.

John is an entertainment accountant for several successful bands and he built a nice new house with an outbuilding garage/studio. He and his friends like many participating in this thread plays an instrument or two...

The town where he built this is an old farming town called Bovina, NY

So here we have a group gathering of old and new hippies who bring their kids and camp out around a lake in the Catskills to listen to live music... very reminiscent of Woodstock... ah, but this is Bovina!

Live Music... Woodstock... Bovines... the gathering is called.... (drumroll)

LIVESTOCK!

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

I was in a JMH/SRV tribute (kinda', all we did were those two cats' stuff) for 5 years and of course we would get requests and not do them because "we don't take request", but we told people we would do them at the end of the set, if it so happened. . We, as a group (power trio) decided it was too much work to lineup the gigs, play and break down for free. Here in LA you play for free or pay to play, unless your, ahem, famous? (what ever that means). We had a talent agent but he took us to the cleaners for about 2 years, told us lies and absconed with any money we would have made.

Ruff life as a musician, and you have to do it 24/7.

Now I jam in a small studio (reason for a new one) with a drum set, guitar and bass, keys, percussion stuff, for free, but get a lot more out of it.

Rick Bass players Drink Bass and Homebrew

Reply to
Rick Bass

Quite a few years ago, when I was pretty much just playing by my lonesome, I used a drum machine and a digital sampler. Get a beat going, put a rythm track down with the sampler, and then just noodle along. Sounded like a nice little three piece, and not that hard to sync up once you figured out the gear.

(snip)

I guess you didn't get the Haircut 100 Tribute band part. Very tongue in cheek. That would be one of the shortest set lists around. Two songs and a cloud of dust. ;-)

Actually I have been playing with some guys regularly in a band for about 4 years that started out just a fun little hobby, and has grown to many paying gigs. We are even playing a wedding (gasp!) in a couple of weeks. I NEVER wanted to do a wedding, but it's for a good friend of mine, so we're doing him a favor. We mostly do cover stuff, with a few originals when people get drunk enough to stand them.

I've also been jamming with this group of older guys (much older than me) who play very different stuff from what I'm used to. They will play some old rock n roll, but they will also break out some country and bluegrass. Even got a harmonica and a fiddle player. Very fun stuff for me, since I didn't really grow up playing much of this. Keeps me challenged.

The funnest gigging I've done, although it's been awhile, is with a DJ who does House music with a little latin, bossa nova, and world music swing to it. He brings in a percussionist and bass player/keyboard guy, and I sit in sometimes with my acoustic. Very fun stuff, get to pretty much freestyle and act like I know what I'm doing. ;-) Very fun, laidback kinda loungy stuff to play. I even get paid/free drinks for it.

Reply to
Cato