Re: Concrete Block

Why do they make them so heavy?

Its a factor of volume and the atomic weights of the elements that make the components of concrete. I dont think they have much choice in the matter. ;)

Reply to
skroob

Because they make them with two types of concrete, regular at 145 pcf or light weight around 100 pcf (not sure exactly of lightweight concrete, can't get it easily in Pacific NW). That's why they call them concrete block.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

Don? you need to get out more LOL

CMU do not need to be filled with concrete when the wall is built, however they can be at times. Sometime we add rebar and grout solid to give additional strength at certain vertical elements, sometimes horizonatal courses are grouted solid (bond beams) some times just a small area is grouts solid.....around lintel bearing. The open cells are often filled with insulation if it is only a single wythe wall. Also note that CMU comes in different weights based on its composition, which can also affect it's fire rating.

Reply to
P. Fritz

An alternernate system I have seen is EPS blocks, with R.C. cores and bond beams, for stucco finish. Seems to be structurally limited, but perhaps engineered R.C. makes this more effective than one might think.

R'zenboom

Reply to
zenboom

It's called "a desk job."

Notan

Reply to
Notan

Since I (and all detailers I know) really dislike detailing masonry fill cells, I would be all for the elimination of CMU walls. PIP or Tilt-Up panels should be mandatory.

:-)

Reply to
THEREBARGUY

Heavy block is a good sound blocker.

As others have mentioned, they make them in a "normal" weight and lightweight version. There are actually several different lightweight versions. You also can get a variation in the overall weight of a block due to the amount of open area. A three cell block will be typcially heavier than a two cell block.

From my perspective, I really like heavy block because that weight helps block sound especially the low frequency sounds that are difficult to block with light constructions. A lighter block can be used with the cavities filled with mortar so the overall weight is about the same as a heavier block to give comparable performance to a heavier block.

Beware of claims of lightweight fillers for the core that say they improve acoustical performance. One claims to perform as well as filling a block with sand. However, if you look at their test, you find they filled lightweight block with sand and heavyweight block with their product, so the overall weight was the same.

Reply to
Noral Stewart

Just to make sure I am not misinterpreted, PIP or tilt-up concrete can be good for sound blockage also. I was not trying to advocate block over these options.

Reply to
Noral Stewart

You can't use ungrouted concrete block walls on the west coast if you are using the IBC code. All CMU walls are to be fully grouted and reinforced. You can use partial grouted walls where seismic areas are not high but never complete hollow walls.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

Don:

What you've described is overkill. Here's my recommendation:

#5 vert @ 32" o/c. Fill the other cells with insulation: Perlite, Zonelite, or something similar.

Horizontal reinforcing = Bond beams w/ (2) #4 @ 48 o/c

No joint reinforcing (Dur-o-wal). Most masons hate the stuff because it slows down their production.

You might look at using ICF for the house, including foundations. The better types have places to attached siding on the outside and drywall on the inside.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

AAC...lightweight and you can cut it with regular tools...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Usually not all of them.

There is a system that uses styrofoam, I believe.

Reply to
gruhn

Then they'd carry more of them.

Reply to
gruhn

Dayymn, I had said earlier how much I dislike CMU reinf. detailing, but with your design I'll make an exception. Detailing the bars as you mentioned above you are looking at btwn 60&65lbs/lf of rebar for a 10'0h wall, not including ftgs and piers. At that rate it'd would be almost worthwhile to detail.

When you say you want to tie the verts to the beam bars, will they be tied to bars on the face of the beam or to the center run of bars? I need to know so I can figure if they need to be offset bent or not. Do I need to hook the verts @ top/beam. Masons love it when we put a standard hook (12" for #6) on the verts, so they have to "snake" the bar through the cell. Talking about slowing down production...

Let me know when you're ready to get started, I need a new boat.

:-)

Reply to
THEREBARGUY

Geez, where you building this thing? On the surface of Mars?

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Nope.......we use intergral color ground face more than any other material :-)

Reply to
P. Fritz