inserting pre-fab unit inside old external fabric

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the following: A friend of mine is looking to convert a small outbuilding into a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom - nothing complicated. It is quite a pretty building and structurally sound, but the quotes he has had for converting it are astronomical (it is in the French Alps). I read in the Architectural Review a few months ago an example of a guy who had inserted an insulated wooden "box within a box" that he had put wihtin a charming old stone pig sty - i.e. he had built his wooden insulated unit off site, got all his insulation, services, etc in that, then taken the pieces to the pig sty and built it within. Annoyingly, that's the only copy of the AR I can't now find in my collection!

The point is, externally my friend wants to preserve the appearance of his little outbuilding, in the same way that the Austrian guy did with his little pig sty. I was thinking that if he could get this unit designed and factory assembled offsite (say somewhere in Eastern Europe) he could potentially realise significant savings versus craftsmen on site, and be able to save time in the construction. The outbuilding he has is structurally sound, its just not that weatherproof / it has a lot of holes in it.

Anyone have any thoughts or know of any sites where I could research this further? T-I-A.

Reply to
Ralph Kent

I know of no web sites that address this particular issue. Depending on the size of the out building, a major issue may be finding an opening in the outer building large enough and in the right place through which the prefab elements can be inserted. It's an issue often delat with when installing architectural mill work. I think an architect is needed. The insert has to be coordinated with and supported by the existing structure: the pieces have to be designed for whatever function is intended and the assembly has to be designed to be transported and inserted, then assembled. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Hi

Ralph Kent wrote: my friend wants to preserve the appearance of

If y our friend don't dismis solutions FLW aproach , then he shuld consider presaving the house And it's garden under a shed 3D-Honeycomb structure it will not be fancy with just a shell Dome to cover the sight but 3D-H offer frames that also act as foundations for new design aadding it's touch to the old , the new structure would with 3D-H be digital projected and digital manufactored but, what is projected will fit exactly and a 3D-H framework frames , can easily be broken up to smaller assemblies. Go look for 3D-H or 3D-Honeycomb, emagine this act covering, expanding the allready building.

P.C.

Reply to
per.corell

Forgot to add ; -- the way I see "Paneling" is the panels unfolded from a 3D drawing , like ships panels panels that cover a structure and act as roof-wall , just the making sure rain don't enter and insulating surfaces adding their strength to the box structure.

P.C.

Reply to
per.corell