Exterior view on interior window

Hi all. I have reasons to have some bedrooms entirely inside a house. That is, all the walls are interior. However, I would still like to be able to enjoy the outdoor scene.

Have people used mirrors to bring the outside view to an inside wall? The simplest arrangement would be similar to this:

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # | \\ # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # \\ | # # # # # # # #

Considerations would be losing light due to mirrors and glass in between, inaccurate grinding or adjustment introducing distortions, perhaps others.

Perhaps one could use a convex lens at both ends, and have a less obtrusive hole in the exterior wall.

Has anyone ever done this? Are there existing, in-use buildings that have this feature?

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Uh... you mean you have some illegal rooms in your house? Any room without a window is not a bedroom. The requirement is for fire safety for escape and health safety for ventilation. Say there is a fire, I guess you have to jump into the mirror? Oh and pay no attention to that moldy smell...

The only existing in-use buildings that have these kinds of features are non-habitable rooms.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque

Consider using webcams to give interior rooms views of the outdoors.

Skylights and light pipes can be used to bring daylight into interior rooms.

-- Ron

Reply to
Ron Peterson

Thanks for the information!

I had no idea the lack of a window might be a safety hazard. Makes sense, though. Some other means of escaping will have to be provided.

"Light pipes." Helps to know the nomenclature. 3M sells a product calls "Light Pipe," and wikipedia has an article on "light tubes." Provides illumination, not an image, but that might be sufficient.

Regards,

Rick

Reply to
Rick