Camp Construction

My son's group won the design phase of a design/build competition at his tech school. Now the teams have to build their buildings, per the design.

He has a nuumber of problems and I don't know how to correct them while construction is underway. They started by framing the building's exterior to the correct outside dimensions. But all of the interior stuff doesn't fit. They can get some of the rooms to the right size, but every time they do that, something else gets too small. I think that is happening is that the walls are too thick. On paper, they are just lines but when they build them, they can be up to 4.5" think. That's throwing everything off. How does he correct for that? How do you get thinner walls. If they were maybe 1/2 or 1/4 inch, no one would notice but over 4" is just ridiculous. What's the secret?

The other issue is the door and windows. He's using a standard 32" door but that doesn't fit correctly either. The hallways are 32" and there's all of the stuff around the door that somehow seem like it is meant to be installed. I don't get it, it's just a little camp they are trying to frame. The windows have the same problem. For instance there are two windows that are 10" apart and there shouldn't be a problem putting the 8" chimney between them, but it doesn't all fit in. He's missing something.

The teacher isn't any help. He says it's the best design he's seen in years and he can't figure why there are any problems.

Please help.

Reply to
Jack Offstermeyer

I'd suggest building it tomorrow. That should fix the problem.

RicodJour

[ snip ]

I think this is the real answer, but to continue the adventure ...

Think outside the box. Instead of framing lumber and drywall, use non- traditional materials. Perhaps for the interior walls use 1/8" or 1/4" steel plate, secured to the floors and ceilings via angle strips. Lag bolt the strips to the horizonal surfaces and drill holes and bolt through both strips and the plate.

A bonus, hanging pictures now only requires rare-earth magnets!

:-P

Reply to
Charles Jones

Thank you to each and every one of you for your assistance. This isn't some sort of joke or anything, the kid is having a real problem.

While I'm posting, though, I thought I'd take the opportunity to introduce myself. I am obviously not an architect but I am in the construction trade. I have the largest holesale company in the midwest and can assist you with all of your hole needs. We have a HUGE assortment of holes in stock including most standard sizes. We keep everything up to 18" in stock in depths up to 40'. Sizes above that can be custom made in just a few days. For depths greater than 40', our deluxe line are stackable. We ship same day be truck. For sizes under

12', we can ship Fedex for overnight service to most places.

Our holes are all first-class. You will need to have a backhoe or drilling rig available to assist us with installing the hole but because of our patented exteriors, I can ensure that all holes will have easy installation.

Recently we have expanded our business into voids and we are testing the market now. Our new, state-of-the-art voids are perfect for all architectural uses. We are running a special on 8'x10'x8' voids that are ideally suited for use as bedrooms. You simply install the framing around our voids and our void will create a world-class space to showcase your designs.

We can currently ship voids up to 12'x40' by truck. Larger sized must be assembled on-site.

Our basic model is composed of a proprietary formula consisting of about

80% nitrogen and 15% oxygen along with some other agents to keep everything separated. You can order custom environments including air and vacuum, depending on your needs. Most of our voids are capable of holding dihyrdogen monoxide but you will need precautions if you are using the void to hold either hydroxic acid or hydrogen hydroxide.

Right now our voids are strictly English measurements (feet and inches) and we can built to the nearest 1/64". We expect to be able to build metric voids for import into Canada by early next year (as soon as we get our French labeling into place).

Reply to
Jack Offstermeyer

Charles Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.frii.com:

Cool, then you can run an electric current through the whole house, too - no need for plugs that way ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Yeah! I want to do that on my car! Oh wait, nobody bothers stealing old Saturn SL1's...yeah, I can imagine the tense chase scene - the perp puts the pedal to the metal, but the bicycle cops quickly catch up...

Reply to
Kris Krieger