Zero Clearance Insert

got a 7-1/4" skilsaw blade? mount that in your unisaw to start the cut.

I usually run a slot on the underside of the insert with the outer blades from a dado set, just to give it enough relief for the 10" blade to fit.
Then I clamp on a piece of waste stock over the insert, clamp it down, and run the 10" blade up very slowly.
Regards, Tom.

I can't believe how much controversy this question generated, but I really do appreciate all the different opinions. I have many smaller blades at my disposal including both circular and dado cutters. I don't know why I didn't think to mount a smaller blade first, but that's the method I'm going to use. While the first suggestion may work, I'm personally just not comfortable lowering such a small piece of material onto a spinning blade -- not when I could just use a smaller blade and the clamp down method to get the same result.

Good! Glad to see you can still type! :o)
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 04:50:20 GMT, Lobby Dosser

In my case, I could loose 6 or 7 and not lose typing fingers or speed...
wrote: <snip>

that one person hadn't thought of are the "been there, done that's" of others in the group...
I've only been following rec.woodworking for about 3 weeks, (recommended by 3 guys in a Dodge NG!), but the tricks, short cuts and safety stuff I've learned here have helped me so much...
Just bookmarking the pages of some of the folks in the group with skills that I envy is like having a wood working course on disk!!
just back from an extended hiatus from the wreck
I haven't read the enter thread, but here's my solution ...
1. adjust your current insert so it sits slightly BELOW the table top (i.e., not flush) and lower the blade all the way down
2. sit your new insert on top of the old insert - it will fit right in and and sit flat, but won't move
3. place a board on top and clamp down
4. start the TS and raise the blade to cut the slot in the new insert
voila!
...rick

Rick,
That solution is far too practical to be effective. ;^>
Cheers, Mike
Yeah I know - never use an existing tool when you can justify an excuse to SWMBO to buy another.
:*)
...rick