Yippeee! New saw is up and running!

Hiya Folks, Just putting the finishing touches on my new G1023SL. I got the 220V and sub panel wired today and put my Vega fence on it. When I first fired it up, I thought "Oh great, this is no better than my contractor saw". It was kind of noisy and failed the nickle test miserably (actually my Jet contractor saw passes this test with no problems). So unplugged the thing and started tinkering a bit. Tightened the belts although they didn't seem to be awfully loose and voila, passes the nickle test.

All in all, I'm happy with it and my progress considering I unloaded it, put it on a mobile stand, installed the Vega, ran a new subpanel, and got it all tuned up in about a day and a half with no "helpers". Now I just gotta decide if I want to keep that 44" extension table on it. Sure looks nice but in a

2 car garage (which houses the wife's car at night), it sure takes up space. May just go back to my 36" extension. I'll have to get the Jet saw cleaned up and see if I can sell it. Kind of sad actually as it's my first saw and it's been a pretty good workhorse for me. Hmmm, can I stash 2 saws in the garage.......

Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble a bit.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Now I just gotta decide

Some pointers here. try cramming just a little more stuff in the way of your wife's car. The idea here is to have her decide that it is really more of a hassle trying to park the car in the garage than outside where cars belong.

You also can make some saw dust with the window to your wife's car down, or start stacking stuff on the car. The key here is to do this incrementally until she yields that valuable piece of real estate

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in

Congratulations on your new saw. Is your wife logical in her thinking? See if you can impress upon the ridiculousness, when you _really_ think about it, of having a HOUSE for a CAR.

... well, it was worth a try.

North America, one of the few places in the world where we insist upon, and pay dearly, for separate housing for our means of transportation.

Reply to
Swingman

Are you aware of the another valuable piece of real estate that she will no longer yield after we follow your suggestions?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Hi Cubby,

I've got to try that nickel test too - soon as I get everything as tweaked as I can.

As a fellow new 1023SL owner, you might appreciate this. When I installed the wings, since they were not labeled left or right, I just chose each at random.

After a day or two of playing, I noticed that although both wings were perfectly flat with the main table in the front & back, the left wing had a slight concavity (maybe .001) while the right one had about the same but convex. I switched the wings and now they are virtually perfect and required no shimming. I can run my fingernail side to side across the "joints" with almost no noticeable ridge anywhere.

This led me to think that maybe these things are ground smooth when they are bolted together, then disassembled and shipped together. Probably not, since the "grain" of the cast iron does not match across the table.

Just a strange coincidence I guess.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news01.syix.com:

Hmmm... 44" extension table, or your life? Tough call...

Reply to
Richard Boggs

The kitchen island???

Reply to
patrick conroy

What? - you already got your '05 quota? I try to wait till mid year or so.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yes indeed. A very difficult decision. I suppose with the 44" extension, it would be handy for cutting long pieces of wood to build the doghouse I'd be sleeping in.....

I gotta get a shop!

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:01:40 GMT, B a r r y calmly ranted:

That's ONLY if you don't do it incrementally (Hence, the warning.)

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A slow and deliberative process is in order here. You must let her think it is her idea. Do little things like referring to the garage as the workshop, and making something for her that requires just a little more bit of floor space. Soon she will come to the conclusion that it is much easier to park in the driveway.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I don't suppose by any chance you've worked as a landlord and had practise moving uncooperative tenants out? If not, you might want to consider it as an alternative means of employment. :)

Reply to
Upscale
.

======================= First of all....ONLY allow your wife to park her car INSIDE the garage in the Winter ...and then only when it "may" snow ... Cars at like Wild Animals...they enjoy being outside...that is their element...

I keep 2 Table Saws in my shop... I kept my original saw (gulp..crapsman) and made a sled just for it to use for cross cutting or mounting a dado blade ... when I purchased my Cabinet Saw .. Unfortunately 10 years later the crapsman died ..so I was left with only one Table saw in the shop...

IT did not take me long to buy a used Contractors saw to replace my second saw...It became clean darn soon how much I missed that second saw....

Only kidding about the car in the garage... I happen to play with old cars and MY shop had to move upstairs (Major pain to haul lumber upsatirs) over one of the garages just so I could "park" a few more cars ... Normal everyday drivers are kept outside however.

Enjoy your new toy....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Hi Again Cubby,

Today, I just about finished tweaking the 1023SL. After reversing the wings and leveling (no shims needed), I bolted on the Shop Fox fence. Next I checked the 90 & 45 and then the miter slots for parallel. I don't think that I could adjust anything better than it already is.

I am VERY impressed with this saw.

I tried the "nickel" test (used a flat washer - out of nickels!) and the darn thing did not move a bit when I hit the on switch. Moved the washer around the wings and table - same result! SWMBO thought it was glued down. No belt adjustment or anything.

Then, I even cut a piece of wood - cut good! :-)

I have to admit that when you (meaning me) change a piece of machinery like this, it is important to go slow and easy until you get used to it. It is a lot different and more powerful than the old saw I had (not that you couldn't lose something with that one either).

Also, my old saw was right-tilt unlike the Grizzly.

I think we made a good choice.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Glad to see your up and running Lou! We have to quit meeting like this.

Would you believe it, I have yet to cut anything on mine? I took a break today (this is my weekend until Wednesday) to get back on a project that is taking up a good deal of space (Log Bed) that I need to finish so I can get back to more important things. Anyway, I digress. I still need to completely dial in my Vega fence. I had to drill/tap holes in the rear of the table to mount the rail (let me tell you, I thought twice about it but then realized I drill holes into my Jeep all the time and it's worth a helluva lot more....) and now it's just a matter of getting everything ship shape.

I too found the 90 and 45 stops to be bang on, along with just about everything else. As I said, I did have to tighten the belts a bit but otherwise, the thing is ready to go out of the box. Only thing I'm not too sure about is that dust chute thing that surrounds the blade inside the cabinet. It's awfully close to my blade. Not really sure it does much anyway but I'll leave it until it destroys one of my blades. I too am a "Right Tilt Guy" so I'll have to practice a bit.

Anyway, I've enjoyed sharing the adventure with ya! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Yeah, that's the piece...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I was a "right tilt" guy too but have become very used to the left tilt and some of the advantages it provides. The big drawback many espouse is that when using a dado stack, the measurement line is off. I simply use a piece of blue tape after my dado stack is in, by putting the fence back to the edge of the stack and place the edge of the tape on the "0". Then, I simply reference the blue tape for accurate measurements.

Other advantages I've gotten used to are the fact that from the front of the saw, the nut on the arbor turns like any nut instead of reverse. I like not needing to move the fence when doing bevels and in fact, moved my rails to the right about 8" because of the lack of needing to ever put the fence on the other side of the blade. Gave me 8" additional rip capacity with standard rails. I have placed a scrap bin under the right side of the table since the motor is on the left - has become very handy. Probably will make a cabinet to set under there evenutually - still doesn't interefere with the tilt knob.

Don

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

One of the magazines had an article about a workshop over a garage. It included a trap door in the floor to haul stuff in and out rather than dragging it up and down the stairs.

Reply to
GregP

Hi Don,

These are some good ideas. I'll have to keep them in mind as I get used to the saw a little more.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

You get a new "quota" each year???