Yippeee! New saw is up and running!

Page 1 of 2
Hiya Folks, Just putting the finishing touches on my new G1023SL. I got the 220V and sub panel wired today and put my Vega fence on it. When I first fired it up, I thought "Oh great, this is no better than my contractor saw". It was kind of noisy and failed the nickle test miserably (actually my Jet contractor saw passes this test with no problems). So unplugged the thing and started tinkering a bit. Tightened the belts although they didn't seem to be awfully loose and voila, passes the nickle test.
All in all, I'm happy with it and my progress considering I unloaded it, put it on a mobile stand, installed the Vega, ran a new subpanel, and got it all tuned up in about a day and a half with no "helpers". Now I just gotta decide if I want to keep that 44" extension table on it. Sure looks nice but in a 2 car garage (which houses the wife's car at night), it sure takes up space. May just go back to my 36" extension. I'll have to get the Jet saw cleaned up and see if I can sell it. Kind of sad actually as it's my first saw and it's been a pretty good workhorse for me. Hmmm, can I stash 2 saws in the garage.......
Anyway, thanks for letting me ramble a bit.
Cheers, cc
Now I just gotta decide

Some pointers here. try cramming just a little more stuff in the way of your wife's car. The idea here is to have her decide that it is really more of a hassle trying to park the car in the garage than outside where cars belong.
You also can make some saw dust with the window to your wife's car down, or start stacking stuff on the car. The key here is to do this incrementally until she yields that valuable piece of real estate
--

Roger Shoaf

Roger Shoaf wrote:

Are you aware of the another valuable piece of real estate that she will no longer yield after we follow your suggestions? <G>
Barry

The kitchen island???
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:51:14 +0000, patrick conroy wrote:

What? - you already got your '05 quota? I try to wait till mid year or so.
- Doug

You get a new "quota" each year???
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:51:05 +0000, patrick conroy wrote:

Uh-hu, I think she's getting a little forgetful...
- Doug

The *other* upside to Alzheimer's I suppose.
Personally, I like the fact that "everyday's a new day, and every face is a new face" to me. Every known and then I get a recollection akin to "I know I hate this sumb*tch, but for the life of me, I can recall why!"
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:51:01 GMT, "patrick conroy"

cool..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
patrick conroy wrote:

Yeah, that's the piece...
Barry
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:01:40 GMT, B a r r y

That's ONLY if you don't do it incrementally (Hence, the warning.)
========================================================= Save the ||| http://diversify.com Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming =========================================================

A slow and deliberative process is in order here. You must let her think it is her idea. Do little things like referring to the garage as the workshop, and making something for her that requires just a little more bit of floor space. Soon she will come to the conclusion that it is much easier to park in the driveway.
--

Roger Shoaf

Hmmm... 44" extension table, or your life? Tough call...

Yes indeed. A very difficult decision. I suppose with the 44" extension, it would be handy for cutting long pieces of wood to build the doghouse I'd be sleeping in.....
I gotta get a shop!
Cheers, cc

I don't suppose by any chance you've worked as a landlord and had practise moving uncooperative tenants out? If not, you might want to consider it as an alternative means of employment. :)
"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in

Congratulations on your new saw. Is your wife logical in her thinking? See if you can impress upon the ridiculousness, when you _really_ think about it, of having a HOUSE for a CAR.
... well, it was worth a try.
North America, one of the few places in the world where we insist upon, and pay dearly, for separate housing for our means of transportation.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

.

in the Winter ...and then only when it "may" snow ... Cars at like Wild Animals...they enjoy being outside...that is their element...
I keep 2 Table Saws in my shop... I kept my original saw (gulp..crapsman) and made a sled just for it to use for cross cutting or mounting a dado blade ... when I purchased my Cabinet Saw .. Unfortunately 10 years later the crapsman died ..so I was left with only one Table saw in the shop...
IT did not take me long to buy a used Contractors saw to replace my second saw...It became clean darn soon how much I missed that second saw....
Only kidding about the car in the garage... I happen to play with old cars and MY shop had to move upstairs (Major pain to haul lumber upsatirs) over one of the garages just so I could "park" a few more cars ... Normal everyday drivers are kept outside however.
Enjoy your new toy....
Bob Griffiths
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:18:28 -0500, Bob G.

One of the magazines had an article about a workshop over a garage. It included a trap door in the floor to haul stuff in and out rather than dragging it up and down the stairs.
Hi Again Cubby,
Today, I just about finished tweaking the 1023SL. After reversing the wings and leveling (no shims needed), I bolted on the Shop Fox fence. Next I checked the 90 & 45 and then the miter slots for parallel. I don't think that I could adjust anything better than it already is.
I am VERY impressed with this saw.
I tried the "nickel" test (used a flat washer - out of nickels!) and the darn thing did not move a bit when I hit the on switch. Moved the washer around the wings and table - same result! SWMBO thought it was glued down. No belt adjustment or anything.
Then, I even cut a piece of wood - cut good! :-)
I have to admit that when you (meaning me) change a piece of machinery like this, it is important to go slow and easy until you get used to it. It is a lot different and more powerful than the old saw I had (not that you couldn't lose something with that one either).
Also, my old saw was right-tilt unlike the Grizzly.
I think we made a good choice.
Lou