Wow. Is QSWO *THAT* Rare?

Posting something like "eBay item# 8215485251" would have gotten the point across well enough, I think. I imagine that most folks would figure out how to search eBay for the item number.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

But it does take longer to find it.
On 7 Sep 2005 00:59:12 GMT, Bruce Barnett

the biggest disadvantage to tinyurl and such is that the links they generate do eventually expire, while the usenet post containing it doesn't. so the person who comes along in the sometime future can't know what it was that was being linked to.
but in the case of ebay auctions, heck, they expire too. so it 'aint no big deal to tinyurl a link to an ebay auction.
but in general, anything that will be useful to someone else later should prolly not be tinyurled.
and for most newsreaders, you can beat wordwrap by putting the link inside of a pair of <>. sort of like <http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&id'58888&linkID$75161>

C'mon Jason, get with it. One of the hallmarks of this group is to kick the crap out of someone for no real reason or about something you don't understand.
>> I << appreciate that you took the time to make a shorter link (sorry no pun intended) so that I didn't have to move my lazy ass one bit to sign onto EBAY and look it up. Click... I was there. No signing onto EBAY, no copying the number an pasting it into the search field... click... I was there.
And as pointed out since EBAY auctions actually do expire and disappear as well as all the pertinent information. I thought your post was interesting food for thought, and an interesting look, but not too sure of its value as an archive. Since you posted the url, were you thinking it should or should not be archived for us? If you are thinking it should be maintained for posterity, please refrain from referencing any subject that could expire. Especially any item that is for sale.
That should preclude you from alerting anyone that item "X" is for sale at Woodcraft, Rockler, Hartville, Tool King, Menard's, etc., as their products will change and their sales will most certainly expire as well. What would that do to our children if they found an expired reference or dead link on the internet?
In the future, please confine your trouble making remarks and posting techniques to safe topics we can all whine and bitch about together like Home Depot, brad nails, etc. You could get 150 posts easily if you can find a way to combine those two, and you will find that you will never be criticized for posting the ever popular bashing topics.
Robert

Love it! flamestarters:
What guage wire should I run to my new shop and do I have to have a separate ground? What's your favorite cordless drill? What's the best router? I was gutted by a kickback yesterday. What caused it? You won't believe the sale they are having at harbor freight! The dealer said I should run grounding wire on my new dust collection system. Do I really need this?
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs writes:

but in this case the eBay link will expire too - in about 3 months. I don't know the duration of tinyurl.
The biggest disadvantage is that you don't know what you're clicking on. I wouldn't click on a random link that a stranger sent via e-mail. Why would I do it in a newsgroup?
If I can clearly see the link goes to Ebay, no matter how cumbersome, it gives me enough information to decide whether or not I want to see it. If it's to an anonymous site, I won't take the chance.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Yup. Given that one of the stated purposes of TinyURLs and the like is to intentionally obfuscate the actual destination, I won't click on one from someone I don't know and trust. Not that my systems would be impressed by viruses or similar, because I don't "do windows", but it's a case of a good idea, once again, being contaminated by people who misuse technology. Popups used to be useful, legitimate web objects. Now, with rare exceptions, they're just for ads or worse. TinyURL might have been a good idea, but enough people are wrecking it for the honest users that it's not worth using, in my opinion.

Same here. Just not worth the bother. I mean - copy/paste isn't _that_ tough, and word wrap is one of those things that nearly everyone learns how to deal with at some point in their online dealings.

Not a bad price if you want to build a 20 x 60 table with a bookmatched top.,