http://tinyurl.com/8we9r
Jason
Sending me to a 4x4 pixel ad tracking gif at qksrv.net? Yeah, I'd say so.
--
Go read this. Now.
<http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

Eh? Worked fine for me.
Jason
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:10:07 -0600, Dave Balderstone
... snip

Thanks for the link. Eloquently spoken.
Signed,
One who supplies and helps sheepdogs be successful

shill bidding
Tina
On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:10:07 -0600, the blithe spirit Dave Balderstone

(Jason, people pay upwards of $35/bf for claro walnut. This works out to about $10/bf. Not too terribly bad until you add shipping. Oak ain't light.)

Try www.ebay.com , auction # 8215485251 , Dave. A pair of 10"x5'x13/16" boards. Nice, but a bit pricy at $90.
------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! ------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Jason Quick wrote:

Worked for me. Sure is that rare in Aust.

Two book-matched pieces over ten inches wide, going for $9 per board foot ... doesn't seem *that* unreasonable to me.
--
Regards,

When I checked the bid it was $90.99. I calculate 7.25 finished BF, so the price is $12.57 BF and that does not include shipping. That's way higher than what I could get it for in Houston at a local supplier. I know pricing varies around the country (and the world), but I would not expect Illinois to be that much out of line.
Bob
BillyBob wrote:

What's out of line about a bid? Many items at auction bring far more than they would on the open market--that's one reason people use auctions.

don't be so pedantic. You know what I meant - out of line with established retail prices. That was the OP's point - someone was bidding ignorantly. But that's ebay - very much exemplifies the quote "a sucker born every minute".
Bob

I just wish some of them would show up to bid when I'm trying to *sell* something. :-(
--
Regards,

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?
Dave Hinz wrote:

UPS takes almost anything as long as it's in the overall dimensions. I've seen a lot of small, specialty woods, etc., that wouldn't be hard to ship, very little "_lumber_", at least by individuals.
Some folks, particularly on the wholesale side auctions, put things up where all shipping is responsibility of purchaser. All the seller does is make it available for pickup by the shipper.
I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/ a trucking outfit he used and they got it from Chicago area to SW KS for $800. Weighs >15,000 lb.

Gotcha.
You'd have to do some sort of "If you don't get it out of here in a month, I'm going to keep the money _and_ the merchandise" though, wouldn't you? Otherwise you're just being someone else's warehouse?
Come to think of it, I have a nice several ton boulder that someone gave me 50 bucks for and was going to pick up "as soon as I can". It's been there about 3 years now, sold, but here.

That's not bad, at all.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Sure, that's a pretty standard condition on such sales. The magnitude of the problem is normally pretty much inverse to the value of the object and directly in proportion to the difficulty in shipping.

Yep, as I noted above... :)
After Dad had the farm retirement auction there were several items which were never picked up. A set of drills were eventually sold a second time. A neighbor bout a 5000-bu Butler grain that's still here about 10 yrs later (and counting). Of course, w/ this <particular> neighbor, we were all chuckling at the time, knowing the probability of the move <ever> taking place. :)> > I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/

Particularly since there was an agreed on $600 allowance in the bid price and the broker agreed to pick up the difference if over that. And, the actual lift bid price was about $5k and it has functioned very well for the four years I've had it so far...needed a head gasket when I got it but w/ those little Wisconsin air-cooled engines that is a trivial repair at moderate cost.

If you think THAT's hard to ship, what about the town they sold on eBay?
It's actually closer 10bf by typical lumber standards as this would be considered 4/4. Especially figured woods which are planed down enough to see the figure so one would expect 4/4 QSWO to be about 7/8 -13/16 but still calced for bf as if it is an inch thick.
So it's about $10 bf which is nearly twice what I pay in California but I would pay more for more than 8" wide and I supposed the bookmatch adds some too. However, in my experience, QS wood changes figure dramitically with liitle difference in depth so getting book matched pieces that are obviously bookmatched is hard to do. With my rough resawing abilities, once I plane or sand out the ridges the pieces don't match much.

I would be more interested as to why the OP is posting a link that goes through a paid per click advertiser. Seems like a lot more trouble than just posting a link to eBay.
Is the pay-per-click money really that much to you?
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

News to me...I used TinyURL for the reasons below.

I think you'll see why presently. I know nothing of pay-per-click advertisers. I use TinyURL because it's easy and free. The point of the service, like others of its ilk, is to make posting and emailing links like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-BEST-EVER-WIDE-QUARTER-SAWN-WHITE-OAK-2-BOARDS_W0QQitemZ8215485251QQcategoryZ71231QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
...less cumbersome. At 127 characters, such links tend to get truncated. The above is what I C&P into the box at http://tinyurl.com .
If you prefer, there's this: http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2E451FBB

I think you owe me an apology, and a broader perspective on life. Even if I *had* something to gain from using TinyURL, you're bitching about something that's...well, of absolutely no significance.
Jason