Wow. Is QSWO *THAT* Rare?

Love it! flamestarters:

What guage wire should I run to my new shop and do I have to have a separate ground? What's your favorite cordless drill? What's the best router? I was gutted by a kickback yesterday. What caused it? You won't believe the sale they are having at harbor freight! The dealer said I should run grounding wire on my new dust collection system. Do I really need this?

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I just wish some of them would show up to bid when I'm trying to *sell* something. :-(

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

UPS takes almost anything as long as it's in the overall dimensions. I've seen a lot of small, specialty woods, etc., that wouldn't be hard to ship, very little "_lumber_", at least by individuals.

Some folks, particularly on the wholesale side auctions, put things up where all shipping is responsibility of purchaser. All the seller does is make it available for pickup by the shipper.

I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/ a trucking outfit he used and they got it from Chicago area to SW KS for $800. Weighs >15,000 lb.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The biggest disadvantage is that you don't know what you're clicking on. I wouldn't click on a random link that a stranger sent via e-mail. Why would I do it in a newsgroup?

If I can clearly see the l> the biggest disadvantage to tinyurl and such is that the links they

Reply to
Mike Berger

Gotcha.

You'd have to do some sort of "If you don't get it out of here in a month, I'm going to keep the money _and_ the merchandise" though, wouldn't you? Otherwise you're just being someone else's warehouse?

Come to think of it, I have a nice several ton boulder that someone gave me 50 bucks for and was going to pick up "as soon as I can". It's been there about 3 years now, sold, but here.

That's not bad, at all.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sure, that's a pretty standard condition on such sales. The magnitude of the problem is normally pretty much inverse to the value of the object and directly in proportion to the difficulty in shipping.

Yep, as I noted above... :)

After Dad had the farm retirement auction there were several items which were never picked up. A set of drills were eventually sold a second time. A neighbor bout a 5000-bu Butler grain that's still here about 10 yrs later (and counting). Of course, w/ this neighbor, we were all chuckling at the time, knowing the probability of the move taking place. :)

Particularly since there was an agreed on $600 allowance in the bid price and the broker agreed to pick up the difference if over that. And, the actual lift bid price was about $5k and it has functioned very well for the four years I've had it so far...needed a head gasket when I got it but w/ those little Wisconsin air-cooled engines that is a trivial repair at moderate cost.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yup. Given that one of the stated purposes of TinyURLs and the like is to intentionally obfuscate the actual destination, I won't click on one from someone I don't know and trust. Not that my systems would be impressed by viruses or similar, because I don't "do windows", but it's a case of a good idea, once again, being contaminated by people who misuse technology. Popups used to be useful, legitimate web objects. Now, with rare exceptions, they're just for ads or worse. TinyURL might have been a good idea, but enough people are wrecking it for the honest users that it's not worth using, in my opinion.

Same here. Just not worth the bother. I mean - copy/paste isn't _that_ tough, and word wrap is one of those things that nearly everyone learns how to deal with at some point in their online dealings.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If you think THAT's hard to ship, what about the town they sold on eBay?

Reply to
Bruce Barnett