Wouldn't it be nice..

Page 2 of 3

BobS wrote:

Meaning that I have none cause I did?
Be gentle Bob. I hope it's not what you mean. But if it is -- you're welcome to your opinion. I will try to improve.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

I'm a newbie to the group.. maybe 6 or 8 months... I've gotten a lot of GREAT advise from folks of all skill levels...
Mentors?? I guess I only have about 20 sites book marked so far... I use folks sites like we used to use a library.. (remember libraries?) I've never asked a question by email that anyone has ignored or flamed.. just replies with answers to questions, advice, engorgement and tips.. I'd call them mentors.. especially most of the folks on the list below, that never lose patience with people asking the same questions over and over... Part of my wood webucation:
http://aroundthewoods.com / http://www.e-woodshop.net / http://www.winterburn.net/doug / http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop / http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com / http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/index.html http://home.mchsi.com/~lawlhote / http://woodworking.homeip.net/wood / http://www.joewoodworker.com / http://www.patwarner.com / http://www.knight-toolworks.com / http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/index.html http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/index.html http://www.beaverpondstudio.com / http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/index.html http://www.the-wildings.com/shop /
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"BobS" wrote in message

What most of the responders seem to be missing is a bit of perspective on this issue. Not ragging anyone, but there was a very good reason at one time:
Back in the "old days' of the Internet, and the BBS's and FidoNet before that, it was considered very bad manners to waste bandwidth by individually thanking those who responded ... thus the "TIA" at the end of many OP questions in those days.
Manners are dictated by the culture, and to NOT say "thank you" was the culture, and accepted good manners, of the computer savvy before many who expect to be thanked today could spell "computer".
But times do change ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05
Swingman wrote:

Yet, so many (but not all by any means) of those who used TIA felt free to waste endless bandwidth flaming people and arguing. They very much often felt it ok to take issue with the answers, but not to offer thanks, even aggregated.

Some of those flamefests and arguments were, and can still be, entertaining ... hitting the next key on 37 individual "thank you" posts, never.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05
Swingman wrote:

David wrote:

That's how I read it.

I think he said that times change. :-)

Not too many. Kind of enjoyed the thread. Learned some more.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
"David" wrote in message

Don't infer anything, except that Bob Dylan was right. :)

Can't argue with you there.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/17/05

In the early days of usenet and its predecessors, such posting was considered a waste of bandwidth. If someone posted thanks, especially to each and every responder, he would get flamed.
I still occasionally see a question with "TIA" or "Thanks in advance" in it. I've even used it myself.
I'm not saying that explains it all, or even most. But it is a reason that you might not be aware of.

This is the way I look at it. When I get several good responses I might respond to one or two for clarification, but the rest I will tend to send a "thank you" to everybody in one post. I assume each person sees it even though it is posted under just one person's response. I don't know of any other way to thank people without spamming the group. I just posted a question on using 0000 on poly. I really don't think everybody wants to see all my thank you's.
dwhite
David wrote:

Do you think a post would last 24 hours without going off topic? :-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
no(SPAM)vasys wrote:

I think most folks do respond, even if it's just a "thanks"..
As to how long? I check the wRECk once or twice a day when I'm in town, but I have friends that check newsgroups once a week or so, whether they need to or not.. same with email..
Hell, last thursday night, I sent my kid in WA. an email to let him know that we were leaving home Thursday night instead of Friday afternoon.. We got to his house Friday afternoon and he hadn't checked his email in 3 or 4 days.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I agree that we all don't check in here with the same frequency. OTOH, if I asked a question, I'd certainly check back soon to read the answer(s). Otherwise, it couldn't have been too important. When I answer someone's question, I'm under the impression that they really wanted someone's opinion or ideas to help them with a project or make a purchase. Like I said before, Mac, maybe I AM expecting too much!
When we converse, the listener makes "uh huh" noises from time to time, to show they are paying attention. It's impossible to know when someone is reading here, unless they post a reply.
:)
Dave
mac davis wrote:

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Nodding is ok as long as they don't nod off. I hope I don't put anyone to sleep. <g>
Dave
mac davis wrote:

I don't know...give me a coupla days to think about it.
bill

ok.. have your people call my people, Bill.. we'll do lunch...

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Well you'd expect some response from them eventually, and I see there was one now in the thread that apparently motivated this comment. I'd rather see them try to answer someone else's question in return if there isn't really anything more to be said. I try to do that when I ask something.
It goes the other way too though, it kind of sucks when you post something and only one person bothers to reply, or no one at all. Someone posted a pretty cool on topic link and just got two people bitching at him for posting it wrong. A while back I posted about finishing my bench and got one response, and no answer to the question I asked about it. Sometimes that happens though, you can't get too worked up about it.
-Leuf

leuf.. I try to remember that they get what they pay for here.. and my answer might be the wrong one!
But, like many things in life, several poor experiences are more than offset by the occasional one like: "Leuf, thanks for that great tip.. it made my project so much easier and nicer!