Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 6 of 6

How could they "ruin" a B&D jigsaw? I've got one I bought a few years ago for a one-off job, and it is the most useless POS there ever was. Can't wreck something that is already broken beyond repair.
Prometheus wrote:

It makes the blade go up and down, which I suppose would make it able to cut something, if the stupid footplate would stay put.
boorite wrote:

I used a B&D jigsaw until I replaced it with a Bosch. The B&D was a definite POS. It had a thumbscrew that held the blade in and reciprocated with it. If you put your finger on the footplate to try to guide the cut and keep the saw from vibrating off the work, every once in a while, as soon as you let your guard down, that GD thumbscrew would smash you right in the finger nail. I hated that tool.
In comparison, the Bosch is like a fine surgical instrument. It cuts smooth and true and is totally easy to control. Mine is an older model and was made in Switzerland. I am not sure if they are still made there and if the quality is still as good, but this is a great tool.
Chuck

My old one (1979 or so vintage) died the death the other day (or at least broke a part that Bosch USA doesn't seem to have--I have a British friend who on his next trip is going to try to get it from Bosch UK) and I replaced it with a new one. The new one seems better in every regard--cutting quality is the same (couldn't get much better), it has more power, better blade control, improved ergonomics, and the best blade-change I have ever seen on a jigsaw.

You would think that would be the case. But as I found with an equivalently poor Crapsman jig saw, just making a blade go up and down does not necessarily mean that the blade will actually *cut* wood. The Crapsman I had appeared to more or less vibrate and scream the wood out of the kerf. I'm not sure how such a simple process could be screwed up, but Sears's manufacturer figured out a way to do it. Thing wouldn't even cut pine even when equipped with good high quality blade.
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:06:00 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Probably made by Black and Decker, with the Craftsman name slapped on the case. :)
Gotta love the way the blade tilts to 45 degrees the second it touches wood. Never a non-mitered cut with a B&D.
boorite wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I never had a single problem with the baseplate of that tool. Granted I've only used it once, but I've used similar models with similar baseplate design with no trouble at all.
The worst tools I have are from this iGo "furniture assembling kit" that my mother bought me for some reason. It has a cordless screwdriver and cordless drill. Both run on two AA batteries. Yup, two AA batteries. Pretty cheesy to begin with and the bits that come with it break too easily. Which is pretty impressive given that there's only AA power in there.
However, I can't really fault the two items for being what they are. They're still useful if I need to quickly drill through something soft and I'm too impatient to wait for the battery to charge on my cordless drill or too lazy to mess with a corded. And the screwdriver IS angled, which is more useful than not having it. They just don't have much in the way of power and are such light plastic I'm surprised they haven't fallen apart or the motor burned out by now.
I'm sure I have a lot of tools that people would consider POS, but I'm of the opinion that as long as I can do what I need with them, I don't care if it's the hottest thing on the market that looks like a sneaker (coughhitachicough) and will make you a sandwich. Not like I could have afforded high end tools on a student's budget back then anyway. But if I could have, there would have been a table saw in my dorm room first thing.
Lots of complaints about POS tools from Harbor Freight. Why are they surprised? HF sells cheap. Yout get what you pay for. Like that lousy Craftsman contractors TS I bought (used). Used it for a while then got so frustrated that I bought a Delta contractors saw. MUCH better.
What bugs me is paying good money ($100) for a Porter Cable dovetail joint router jig, and having it be mediocre. PC cheaped out on the screws. They stripped out right away. I replaced them with generic fasteners from my screw bin which have held up much better. The hold-down bar is made of some new extra-soft steel which forces me to really crank down on the hold-down screws to get my workpieces steady (maybe the cause of the screw failure?). I cut myself on burrs on some of the sheet metal because they weren't deburred properly.
Should bought the expensive jig. Then I would have had more flexibility and higher quality. I know better than to buy cheap, but sometimes my wallet does the talking instead of my brain.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One man's trash....... I love my PC dovetail jig.
I wrote in this thread about my horrible Wagner power roller, and somebody else thought it was great. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all!
Mine works just fine too. Did a great job on the two test joints I made after buying it several years ago. Haven't used it since. Other than decoration, can't see why I'd ever want to use a dovetail.

I've bought enough crappy tools that I don't just have one worst:
1: Those little corner-rounding planes that Woodcraft and others sell - totally useless. Their only virtue is that they don't cost much. 2: Ryobi detail sander - it's great for making your hand numb, but little else. Thankfully it was a gift so I didn't actually pay for it. 3: B&D belt sander - the internal drive belt mis-tracked off the end of one pulley, and chewed through the side of the plastic case after about 2 hours of use over the course of 2 years. 4: Freud FT1700 router - built in above table adjustment stripped, spindle lock broke, then motor died after about a year.
Needless to say, I don't buy Ryobi, B&D or Freud power tools any more (though I still buy Freud blades and bits).
Regards, John.
In search for a biscuit cutter I went to HD and got a Freud. Plugged it in and it started TWICE then no more. Exchanged for a second one that started ONCE. Third try on same day wouldn't start! They ran out of stock that day. One kid asked another how to pronounce the name but the second didn't know either.