World's largest hand plane?

A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight off the tool.

Spalted Walt

That's pretty cool, but I'm tired just from watching how hard he seemed to be working.

I wonder how many times a day he does that demonstration. His body is tweaked in such a manner that it can't be good for him over the long term.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

It does seem awfully odd that they have a competition like this, but the fact that it draws an audience suggests an admiration for craftsmanship and precision that's hard to argue with.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Greg,

Perhaps it's odd and perhaps not. I belong to a woodworking club on Long I sland and we hold a plane shaving contest along with our annual show. Usua lly the board to be planed is less than 2" wide. You must have a continuou s shaving along the 8 or 10 ft. length and the thinnest one wins. I think last year the winning shaving was about 0.0012" thick.

There's a variety of woodworkers in my club and, I suppose, worldwide. Som e couldn't care less about using a hand plane and some enjoy trying to fine tune their tools to perform to the extreme.

I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt