World's largest hand plane?

A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

That's pretty cool, but I'm tired just from watching how hard he seemed to be working.
I wonder how many times a day he does that demonstration. His body is tweaked in such a manner that it can't be good for him over the long term.
On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.
;~)
On 3/2/2015 7:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

It does seem awfully odd that they have a competition like this, but the fact that it draws an audience suggests an admiration for craftsmanship and precision that's hard to argue with.
On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 2:29:20 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:

Greg,
Perhaps it's odd and perhaps not. I belong to a woodworking club on Long I sland and we hold a plane shaving contest along with our annual show. Usua lly the board to be planed is less than 2" wide. You must have a continuou s shaving along the 8 or 10 ft. length and the thinnest one wins. I think last year the winning shaving was about 0.0012" thick.
There's a variety of woodworkers in my club and, I suppose, worldwide. Som e couldn't care less about using a hand plane and some enjoy trying to fine tune their tools to perform to the extreme.
I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle.
Bill Leonhardt