Love Letter to Plywood

Steel is king, plywood is the queen.

Spalted Walt

Ok I will say that the only thing important in that video is that the Imperial measurement system is far far superior to the metric system. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I learned another thing:

We are not allowed to screw at any angle other than in-line with the center of Mother Earth. I wonder if they laid that wall down prior to attaching the plywood so they could paint it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

An interesting way to show off plywood. Thanks for sharing.

'nuff said. `Casper ;)

Reply to
Casper

I thought his other video on sweeping was instructive.... who would have known!

John Grossbohlin

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:21:04 -0600, Leon

I was going to say it depends in what form the dimensions are given you, but upon further consideration, I agree with you. :)

Reply to
none

First off, why was there no mention of sizing the broom for the space being swept? As the wise man once said "If you are working too hard, you are pro bably using the wrong tool." (This was said while watching a guy try to put a hole in a concrete floor with a hammer and chisel)

Second: "Each broom stroke should be more effective than the stroke that ca me before it." In other words, eventually you should be able to simply show your broom to the room and the task will be complete.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You guys realize these videos are intended to be more art than actual instruction, right?

Reply to
-MIKE-

LOL

The video reminded me of something a friend said probably 35 years ago while sweeping up the the repair area in a bicycle shop. "My mother was worried I was going to grow up pushing a broom but I faked her out... I pull it!"

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Now, that's funny!

Reply to
-MIKE-

If we ever get to where we don't know how to deal with fractions, like those on the metric system, ;~) we should go to incha'meter, foota'meter, yarda'meter, and milea'meter.

Much less confusing than centi, mili, deci, kilo, etc. :~)

Reply to
Leon

A useless production.

Reply to
woodchucker

But wait...that's not what it says at the Tom Sachs' vimeo page:

"These films are required viewing for Tom Sachs' studio. They comprise guides to studio practice and documentation of specific projects and installations."

They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

DerbyDad03

I can promise you there are easier, less esthetic means of telling his students or whomever the policies in his shop.

Those videos do much more to show off the craft of the videographer and editor than they do of instructing anything. In fact, if were to use them to instruct anybody on anything, it would be film students on film making.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That was pretty odd. But parts of it were filmed a few blocks from where I work. I've been in Chinatown Building Supply any number of times.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I can promise you I wasn't being serious.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Made by theater people for theater people.

They live in an alternate universe.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

If not using fractions is so darn important, why are machinists the only ones out there using decimal inches?

Why do they bother with those prefixes anyway? Why not just pronouce the power-of-10? My height is approximately 76 negative-two-meters. (I'm sitting down.) Now, we're to a useful and self-describing but not really "cool" system.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I, for one, found it amusing.

It also brings memories of "Uncle" Leon, who was more like grand-uncle to my father. Uncle Leon once owned a small mill in Coos County, New Hampshire. He loved plywood and had a grandfather clock cabinet made of it, showing the layers. His stated reason for loving it was because he couldn't make it in his mill.

Uncle Leon was a very old man when I met him as a small child, and the mill was long gone. The story, though, keeps him alive in the family.

Elijah

------ remembers, too, skipping stones on the river there

Reply to
Eli the Bearded