Work Sharp 3000

The discussion started on Jan 1 really got me interested in the Work Sharp 3000. I would like to hear more from other owners or users of this machine. Sharpening for me is really a chore. This sounds like it is something I might use on a regular basis, rather than a big production deal that I just put off doing. Pat

I have tried many other sharpening systems, I wasn't patient enough I guess for hand sharpening and I wasn't rich enough for the big machines...Tormek,etc. Anyway, when I saw the WorkSharp it seemed to be a good machine at a good price. And when I got it, I sharpened all my hand tools, and what a difference it made... it made junk planes that could barely cut styrofoam cut oak really nice. It made sharpening my plane blades, my chisels, quick and easy. Now I only have to touch them up. The blades are like mirrors.
My recomendation is, if youre not good at hand sharpening, and can't aford the big machine...try this first, you'll probably be very happy with it.
BTW, if you buy it...you easily use self stick sand paper, instead of buying it from Work Sharp...ie you can save some money.
Good luck!

Hi,
I too am a big fan of the work sharp 3000, I used wet stones in the past and it was always ac hore to get them out get everything set up and them sharpen everything, Now I use this when ever I want and can touch up tools easily vs the much longer process I used before. I do alot of carving and the worksharp 3000 is great on my chisels.
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com

Thanks, Randy... You answered a question that I was about to ask.. (I think)
You say "touch up" tools, which leads me to believe that in most cases, it's an "after the grinder" tool, right?
I'm guessing that in my case, mostly turning, I'd still sharpen on the grinder but touch up/hone on the Work Sharp?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

With 120 grit sandpaper on the WS3000 restoring a badly damaged edge of a chisel or plane iron takes less than a minute.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Yes, I though one of the benefits of the system was the ability to very quickly change grits and work through sharpening, from very course to very fine.
--

-MIKE-

Nova wrote:

I have the Wolverine jigs for my lathe tools. Can the Wolverine be set up on the 3000, or is it unnecessary?
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

The Wolverine jigs are designed to be used with a vertical wheel. The WS3000 plates are horizontal. I imagine you could somehow adapt the jig but it wouldn't be an easy task.
I still use my grinding wheel for gouges as it's easier. I use the WS3000 for skews, scrapers, bedans, etc.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Just a quick question to anybody reading this thread. Can the workshop be adapted without too much difficulty to sharpening kitchen knives?
Upscale wrote:

I've tried sharpen a pocket knife freehand using the top of the disk. I'm not good at freehand sharpening and the results I got were poor. The "Work Sharp" is really designed for flat blades. In my opinion there are better sharpening systems available for knives.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

beltsander/grinder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjFjT4vYsM&feature=PlayList&p
6DBED9B84542E1&playnext=1&index$

Thank you all who contributed to this post. You were very helpful. I ordered it from Amazon on Saturday and it arrived today. I unpacked it and found it to be very well packed with cardboard and no foam. ( what is this no foam deal? our town has forbidden foam cups and foam food take out things. This isn't going national is it?) It seems to be solidly built, I haven't used it yet. Thanks again Pat

Thank you all who contributed to this post. You were very helpful. I ordered it from Amazon on Saturday and it arrived today. I unpacked it and found it to be very well packed with cardboard and no foam. ( what is this no foam deal? our town has forbidden foam cups and foam food take out things. This isn't going national is it?) It seems to be solidly built, I haven't used it yet. Thanks again Pat
pat wrote:

Mistaken notion that this saves landfill space. The geniuses don't realize that foam compresses to practically nothing; I think they have these visions of cup-size spaces for each cup thrown in a landfill.

Well, I'd be perfectly happy if the banned foam in my neck of the woods. 50% of the deliveries I get are packed with peanuts. Takes two minutes to open the package and 15 minutes to get all the static filled peanuts back in the box and sealed for disposal in the garbage.

I have a private mail box that accepts deliveries for me. I pack all my peanuts, air filled plastic bags, etc. and give it to them. This effectively recycles it and makes me points with my delivery/mail people.

It has absolutely _nothing_ to do with landfill space. Most foams (those made from corn starch excepted) don't biodegrade over time and being made from petrochemical feedstocks, are both an inefficient use of a limited resource (thus should be recycled) and a potential ground water toxin.
1 square mile in kansas[*] could hold all the trash generated in the US for the next couple of centuries without becoming full. Space is only an issue in some localities.
scott
[*] just an example kansasians.
On 19 Jan 2009 21:19:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I question this statistic, as the Fresh Kills landfill in New York was 4.6 Square miles when shut down. The amount of trash produced in this nation is pretty much mind boggling.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com