Woodworking Adhesive Survey

Page 4 of 4
Thanks for the advice. We just wanted unbiased opinion.

Franklin Univ Student wrote:

You must be a young person. In my warmest grandfatherly manner, let me share some possibly useful lessons:
[1] There are no unbiased opinions.
[2] Deception (lying, withholding an essential part of a truth in order to deceive, or providing a carefully selected set of truths in order to lead someone to an incorrect conclusion) violates most peoples' sense of "trustworthy".
[3] Nearly all people subscribe to the principles embodied in the Boy Scouts' "Scout Law" (trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, ...) and afford to others a standing that correlates fairly closely to their perception of the other person conducting themselves in accordance with those principles.
[4] Commercial endeavors are measured similarly; and standings are based additionally on perceptions of value delivered for price asked, behavior of the business organization as a whole, and behavior of all individuals involved in the business.
[5] Although not specifically mentioned in [3] and [4], the principles of justice (balanced behavior and exchanges) and fairness (equability) are major factors in standing afforded.
[6] The perception is that you were attempting to deceive the rec.woodworking *community*; and this community perceives deceivers as economic and/or safety threats.
[7] Woodworking is closely related to the craft that gave us the English word "sincere"; and sincerity is highly valued by those who practice this craft. We especially value those community members whose works (and lives!) need no "spackle" (DAGS).
I'm reponding with all of this because I'm inclined to believe that your /intention/ wasn't dishonest; and that your behavior was clumsy rather than despicable.
My perception is that marketing folks have a tendancy to get so wrapped up with numbers that they forget that those numbers represent real warm, breathing, feeling, thinking human beings.
My unsolicited opinion: Anyone (in any field) who forgets that fact can only aspire to being a "hack" (a second-rater) and will not ever be able to produce really first class results. You may have a different opinion; but please at least ask yourself: "What if he's right about that?"
Elsethread you asked the purpose of the group. The group is a community with several purposes: to teach and pass on experience, to learn from the experience of others, and to provide a certain amount of social interchange and mutual support between people with a common interest in woodworking. It's not just about tools and sawdust.
All of the above is ( biased :-) opinion.
HTH
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Morris Dovey wrote:

Must be.

What? Those numbers are actually people? I sort of knew that but it's easier to think of them as mindless masses to be manipulated.

A youngster isn't inclined to ask such questions.
And us being mindless masses, who are we to question those trying to climb the ivory tower? Don't we know we're to be thrilled that someone of such stature has tried to harvest information from us?
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio