Woodworking accident survey site

Not sure if others have seen this site....

It's quite sobering to read about the accidents people have had with their woodworking equipment. Some are due to obvious carelessness (they admit so), but plenty are kickback-induced contact with blades or flying lumber.

Michael Press

Thanks for posting this, Michael. It ought to be required reading every couple of months. As I read some of the incidents, I kept thinking "Stupid!" Then I read the horrible accident where the guy cut wood with unknown metal in it. It made me stop and think. I don't have a metal detector. I think I'll get one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Its interesting how many people viewed use of a push stick as the panacea for safety, when they obviously were setting up unsafe cuts. When I bought my table saw, I quickly became annoyed that no safety or useage instruction was available. I went to the store and asked for a book that had some good sections on safety. I'm glad I did. Sometimes I think operating a tablesaw ought to require a license. I bought a grip-tite setup two weeks ago and will buy a Gripper next week. These are great tools for dramatically reducing the risk (coupled with a brain that is engaged).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

Yes I've read this site. Every time someone posts an accident here, like one recently I ask them to post on this site to share their experiences. Both rank amatures and seasoned vets have accidents. I hope I never have to post on that site. A friend of mine just bought a TS and I told him to please read the site before cutting anything on his saw.

Some of these stories though...you gotta wonder if some people should take IQ tests before using machinery....like the one where the college student, impatient for the BS to stop, decided to grab the blade....

*sigh*

Layne

Reply to
Layne

As an entry-level woodworker, I"m wondering if its possible to work in a shop for 25 years and NOT get hurt!? :)

Reply to
Subw00er

biscuit joiner accidents, for example. I was amazed to see that there is a separate category for these -- how on earth can anybody hurt himself with a biscuit joiner, for Pete's sakes? Never, *ever* dawned on me that *anyone* would be dumb enough to try to hold a piece of wood in one hand while operating the biscuit joiner with the other. Until I read the reports. And saw that there are *multiple* people that stupid. Sheesh.

Doug Miller

It's an intelligence test, they failed. Now if we can just get them to hold the wood between their legs, we can stop some of the related probelms. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

... and start with operation of automobiles.

Reply to
Swingman

Dave, that is some DRY humor - but it IS funny!!!

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I'd like to see a motion sensor that lights up the blade when it is moving. Then I could train myself like Pavlov's dogs. "Light on - beware!"

Reply to
Bob Davis

ROTFL -- but you're absolutely right.

Doug Miller

I've been doing it on and off for about 20 years or so and I've yet to be seriously hurt (ie. nothing that has left a permanent mark). It isn't difficult to do if you're not in a hurry.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Whoops, now that you've said that, guess what's going to happen!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

You're going to be reminded not to post in HTML? Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Yeah, my apologies! I clicked too quick!

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:39:07 GMT, "Subw00er" brought forth from the murky depths:

No. The woodworking gods--just like the metalworking and auto-mechanicking gods--all demand sacrifices payable in blood. There are NO exceptions. Those of us who give more frequently in smaller amounts are generally spared the larger and nastier donations of full/partial appendages.

So buy a box or 3 of bandaids (my preference is the generic flexible cloth type at half the J&J price) and give freely and often. You'll be glad you did!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmmmm. Me being the auto-meckanicing type, I have had my fair share of blood letting. Does this mean when I put on my " I ar a wudwrker" t-shirt that I will be spared. In other words, do I get credit when I wrench?

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Once again, there are no such things as accidents.

Cluelessness has it's own rewards.

Reply to
Mark

Every occupaption/profession has something that can hurt you.

I worked with (and often in spite of) computers - what could injure you there? You sit and type, look at the screen and print or plot (remember plotters - the drum and pen versions?).

Well, before the days of ergonomic chairs, spending 4 - 6 hour stretches each 10-12 hour work day for 6 or 7 months (during what is now called "a mission critical task") in a crappy chair can really screw up your lower back. Spent 3 extremely boring months in traction and another couple of months in physical therapy thanks to a severly herniated disk - from sitting for extended periods of time in a lousy chair.

And hey, every once in a while a lawyer gets shot.

Me, I know most of my tools, and wood even, can hurt me. Knowledge IS power.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

nope. the woodworking gods and the car gods don't timeshare.

Reply to
Bridger