House Survey - Mains Through Site

"A mains drain appears to run through the site. Legal advisors should obtain further information in respect of this."

Any implications? Does it affect whether I buy or not? Will it smell? Are any problems covered under buildings insurance?

Etc.

TIA

-- Kev

Reply to
Kevin Stone

Need to find out whose responsibility any maintenance is, and who has rights to access your land and dig it up, make connections to it, etc.

Probably not a big issue, but the surveyor is right to draw your attention to it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The only significant thing to bear in mind is that it will restrict future development - because you probably won't be allowed to build over the line of the drain. There's also the potential disruption should it ever need dug up, but that's a once every several decades sort of risk.

David

Reply to
David McNeish

I've got one - serving my house and next door which runs under my house. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So it's nothing to worry about then?

In fact, it's quite normal?

Reply to
Kevin Stone

If it's in good condition, no.

Dunno about that. But the house deeds should give details of liability. If the drain has nothing to do with your property, I'd expect some provision to be mentioned.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This item should be in the deeds, ask the solicitor.

Rick

Reply to
Rick