Woodworking Adhesive Survey

Take this survey, and you could win A $50 Gift Certificate for Rockler Woodworking.

As a team of graduate students at Franklin University, we are conducting a research project for a class. The project uses this survey to find out what woodworkers like you. This survey should require less than five minutes of your time. Your efforts will help the team meet the requirements of the class. In addition, your comments could help the manufacturer better meet your woodworking needs.

Franklin Univ Student

Wed, May 26, 2004, 11:03am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (Franklin=A0Univ=A0Student) clams: Take this survey, and you could win A $50 Gift Certificate for Rockler Woodworking.

I'd only want to do it, If the gift certificate was for me.

As a team of graduate students at Franklin University, we are conducting a research project for a class.

Who's "we", what's the research project, in what class?

The project uses this survey to find out what woodworkers like you. Why are you interested in finding out what ones like me? What if some don't like me? Does that count too?

This survey should require less than five minutes of your time.

Sorry, this is sucking up the 5 minutes. Your efforts will help the team meet the requirements of the class.

See 2d comment.

In addition, your comments could help the manufacturer better meet your woodworking needs.

If the manufacturer wants to better meet my woodworking needs, I would like a jointer, wood is always welcome, but mostly I could really use a larger shop.

Of course the subject does say something about an adhesive survey. Hmm, wonder if you meant my comments could help the manufacturer better meet my adhesive needs? Nah, a college grad student, not writing, or expressing him/her self clearly, never happen.

JOAT "106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses." - Elwood

"Hit it." - Joliet Jake

Reply to
J T

I don't think any real woodworkers like me. ;-) I've bought many sheets of MDF, plywood, etc, but less than 20 bf of "real" wood...

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I've ever seen.

Question: Are you aware of our (named) product? Answer: No

Next Question: What do you think is a fair price for it? Answer: I can't answer. How the hell can I just a fair price if I don't have a clue what you are talking about.

May I suggest you ask for a refund of your tuition as you evidently have not learned much as Franklin U. Good old FU! All you need now is some common sense. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most manufacturers are not interested in our need, but rather how to make more money for their CEO and Delta is the latest example.

Having say that, there is exception: Lee Valley a company that many of us trusted and respected here.

Reply to
WD

Let's see. You're students at FU, but your survey is hosted at a .com site? And you're posting via something called LCI inc in Denver?

I smell SPAMMMM!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And the ability to produce a web site that works with any browser...

It doesn't even work with *Exploder* on the Mac.

Piiiteefull....

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They smell $$$$$$$$$$$

Reply to
WD

Sad part is that this email did not originate from any educational institution. It came directly from Franklin International the makers of this HIPURFormer CRAP.

A few things can be learned from this.

  1. The company has absolutely no integrity at all. To actually try to deceive people into thinking they were someone else. (I am sure it is illegal somewhere). Might be worth while to send an email off to snipped-for-privacy@franklin.edu and let them know of Franklin internationals fraud. (I already did and encourage you to as well).

  1. Could you really believe any claim that this company makes about their products, after seeing this scam?

  2. They must not be too bright over there at Franklin International as to think that people would believe this crap, or maybe they are just looking for these type of suckers to buy their products.

IF YOU REALLY hate to see this type of CRAP, I would suggest that we all go over to :

give each of their products a review. :)~

Roger

Reply to
Roger L

God to know, I'll avoid their product as a result of their actions.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

True enough. Following is excerpted from the headers:

From: snipped-for-privacy@email.franklin.edu (Franklin Univ Student) Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Woodworking Adhesive Survey Date: 26 May 2004 11:03:19 -0700 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.211.171.194

and...

nslookup 209.211.171.194 mail.franklininternational.com

Just FYI, Franklin International is the manufacturer of Titebond.

Lots of email addresses to send complaints to here:

Doug Miller

Did not know that they made Titebond as well. Might be a change in my spending habits..... Kind of insulting to think that Franklin international would think so little of it's customers.

Roger.

Reply to
Roger L

Hopefully people can refer back to this pure crap, next time someone recommends Titebond here on the forum.

Heck if they are dumb enough to pull something like this, spew lies, etc; what does that tell you about their product?

Roger

Reply to
Roger L

Well, there IS a Franklin University, established 1902 (see

That is NOT to say that this study was or was not done for the Franklin International folks, but I really doubt that this is fraud

John

Reply to
John

Makes you wonder if they are deceitful in all their advertising. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Let's see. If they say it's for a survey and they're using it for maketing that's procuring something of worth under false pretences. If it was sent from the company pretending to be the university, that's an obvious fraud. Can you have corporate identity theft? They pretended to be a student. If it was done by the company, that's another fraud, unless the corporate person is enrolled, not too likely. Looks like fraud to me. That's what it said in my letter to them, among other things.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Did you _ask_ the guy what his relationship was with Franklin International before flying off the handle? He could be a Franklin employee taking graduate courses, he could be doing sponsored research, he could be the CEO's kid, Franklin International could be providing USENET access for the school through their servers, you just don't have enough information to be able to conclude that anything shady has occurred, all you know for sure is that he posted through a host that is registered to the company.

And if you think that this is a matter of any real importance, then quite frankly you need to get your priorities straight.

Reply to
J. Clarke

John makes some good arguments but...

If it quacks like a duck......... it is fraud.

I had tried to ask the student, but the email bounces. So much for confirming this part.... Strange that a graduate student cannot spell "campus".

Did John actually look at the survey? Does it look like graduate work? Looks more like a junior high type survey; if even that.

Not sure why Franklin International would need to allow Usenet access, as the claimed student simply posted it through Google news groups. Are you suggesting that a university did not have access to Google, so Franklin International offered them access to Google? Than again a University with four campuses and a graduate course in computer science, might not have access to Google, and a glue manufacture did. Than again it might be fraud.

Webster defines fraud as :

2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : IMPOSTOR; also : one who defrauds : CHEAT b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be

Than again stranger things have happened. I am sure that if we are all wrong, than the original student will post his real name from a real Franklin University address, along with the people in his group. Better yet, we might even learn the professors name, that imposed such an assignment. Or better yet Franklin International can confirm the student, etc....

If not we can fall back on my opening statement.

Myself and others do think it is important... as we are all tired of deception and fraud, spewed daily by corporations.

Roger

International

Reply to
Roger L

The email bounces? Have you reported to the postmaster that someone is forging an address on his system?

What makes you think he was trying to spell "campus"? And did you email the address he gave or did you correct the spelling?

Everybody starts somewhere--could be an engineer taking his first marketing course.

If it didn't go through Franklin's mail server then what the Hell are you bitching at _them_ about? If it _did_ then how did the marketing department get authority to run a browser on the mail server? And why was that reported as the nntp-posting-host rather than Google?

Yep, priorities all messed up. If this was _really_ important to you you'd be a lawyer going after the Enrons rather than whining on USENET about some twit taking a survey.

If you can't take effective action that will result in change then forget about it and go on with life. If you can take effective action that will result in change then take it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I want to clear up any confusion about this survey.

Let me first reassure you that I am, in fact, a graduate student at Franklin University, and this survey is, in fact, for a class I am taking in the graduate school program. When the instructor for the course (Marketing Research and Theory, 601), handed out the assignment to prepare a survey, she recommended we do the survey on behalf of one of the companies for which the team members work to imitate a real-world situation. Because I am an employee at Franklin International, I suggested doing the survey on our HiPURformer product. The group agreed that this would be an interested project on which to do the survey. I worked on the survey on-line from home, I happened to posted the survey on the web from work. As you saw in the instructions, we were up front in indicating that the responses to the survey would be shared with the manufacturer of HiPURformer. (We didn't indicate who the manufacturer was only because we felt that would sway the results of the survey.)

I apologize for any confusion around this. It's important for me to tell you that, I, as all of us at Franklin, have the highest regard for woodworkers. It is for you that Franklin International works. The Masters program at Franklin University is aware of this research and supports it fully. Thank you.

Reply to
Franklin Univ Student