Page 2 of 2
Charlie...are you a cynic???
...just wondered...<G>

company
golf
know.
always
who
On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 00:04:43 GMT, "David Babcock"

Our local stores have nothing to buy! <G>
That's one of the problems.
Barry
in message

I've been to three different WW Warehouses. One is half the distance I drive to get to Woodcraft.
Total purchases: Woodcraft A few thousand $$$ WW Warehouse Maybe 50 bucks
By comparison, the WWW stores are dingy, poorly laid out, and most of the workers are minimum age clerks that don't know what end of a hammer to use to drive screws. There is not a big difference in prices, but it is just the atmosphere that keeps me going back to Woodcraft. They know me by name, are helpful, and actually use the tools they sell.
Ed

name,
Regarding the clerks in my local WWW, in general they are very knowledgeable about tools and their use. They generally don't have any kids on the payroll... tending towards the other end of the spectrum. There have been a few exceptions over the years but they were rotated out as the store manager's preference is to hire people with both knowledge of tools and knowledge of how to use them.
One clerk was a tool and die maker having served a formal apprenticeship at IBM. Another had a former life as a production manager in various manufacturing environments--wood working to high tech. Two of the clerks happen to belong to the same woodworking organization I do--Northeastern Woodworkers Association. Over the years they have been quite accommodating and have served my needs well--most of my stationary tools were purchased from them including the table saw, 18" bandsaw, DJ20 jointer, shaper, etc.
With price matching and good service any perceived reasons to shop elsewhere have evaporated in reality (like buying large tools from Amazon--Tool Crib and having them come in smashed in shipping... twice for one of them). Sure I end up mail ordering specialty items like LN saws and such but if WWW folds the local store I'll miss them. Home Depot and Lowe's don't cut it and the only other Delta and Jet dealers in the area are generally not stocking dealers... displays or catalog only for stationary tools.
John
"Mowgli" wrote in message

knowledgeable
Like any chain, it will vary from store to store. I've found the Auburn store dreadful. It feels dark and dingy, but maybe they just can't afford to pay the electric bill.
In the Norwich store, they did not have 400 grit sandpaper and were not getting any. I did buy some Marples blues that were on sale though.
Last time I was in the Manchester Woodcraft store, one of the employees from the WWW across the street came in to buy something. When kidded about it he said "you have what I need, we don't."
Ed
There are a lot of great Woodworking stores in New England, espec. Connecticut. Unfortunately, here in New Jersey, espec. the town I live in, they are/ were the best game in town. Bright, brand new store and the two guys who were usually there when I went in were pretty knowledgeable. Wouldn't go to Home Depot if I had to. Lowes is better, but doesn't come close to WWW. Buying over the web is fine if you can find a place to test the model out first.
Darn...and my Christmas present was supposed to be a new sliding dual compound/ dual bevel mitre box.....sigh.
Hello Tool Crib....

Walt Ziegler wrote:
<snip>

This might be one of the reasons the smaller retail outlets are having a hard time staying in business.
Newspaper article about chapter 11
http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/all_news/lynn_woodworkers12052003.htm
I was just in the local WWW in Rochester, NH this morning. I was looking at a DeWalt biscuit joiner. I was in there last night and the salesguy told me that they would match Amazon Tool Crib's price, $149 vs. $169 list on the shelf.
When I went in this morning to get it, there was a big sign on the front door saying "All Sales Final" and the salesguy told me that as of last night, they have been taken over by the liquidators, no more price matching but 10% off everything in the store. I ended up buying the jointer as I have a somewhat urgent use for it but I'm not thrilled with the idea of laying out $150 plus for a tool I can't return if there's a problem.
-JR
The Rochester Store (Henrietta) is not having an inventory sale, it is a going out of business sale (nothing special just 10% across the board) clerk said he was notified about 3:30 p.m. on Friday and that the closure was chain wide (about 100 stores)
Tom

That was reported on a Boston radio station on Friday. They've been teetering on the brink for some time.