WoodWorkers Warehouse Replacement - Question

Now that we know there really is a cabal, perhaps they could enlighten us........;-)

Last fall when WWW went belly up, I recall several posts from some of the guys that were hired on by the company that was buying up some of the WWW properties. I think they said they were going to open 12 stores on the east coast, starting in Connecticut.

Anyone ever hear anything more about a new chain of woodworking supply stores starting up?

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

I live in CT but haven't heard of any new chains. Tools Plus in Waterbury I know had something about welcoming WWW customers but as far as I know they still only have the one store (and a nice one it is).

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Thanks Kevin...

Reply to
Bob

There's a Western Tool Supply or Western Tool Company or something like that in the old WWW store in West Lebanon, NH.

No idea if it's a chain, but it'd be awfully odd to have "Western" in the name of a store in NH if it weren't.

Greg

Bob wrote:

Reply to
G. Lewin

This must be it

I sent them an email asking if they're planning on opening stores in upstate NY area.

Thanks for the lead,

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Then these must be the guy's.....;-)

Thanks,

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

There are presently 13 Western Tool Supply stores in the northeast now. When WWW went under, one of our middle managers, Karl Richter, got together with the owner of the Western Tool Supply chain (about 40 stores in the northwest) and they grabbed up 13 of the best former WWW locations. Since all these locations were leased, and by WWW breaking the leases by going under, the owners of the properties were only too happy to have another tenant take up the space so quickly. I went to work for the new company for a while. At first working in the old warehouse loading up trucks with goods for the new stores. Then later I was on a team of a bunch of former WWW Managers and Asst. Managers who were going to work for the new company. We went around to the various locations and set up the new stores. We set up all the shelves, built all the machinery etc., etc.

It was my intention to work in the new store in Old Saybrook, Ct. However, this was a distance of 45 miles from my home. And with an 11 mpg F250 and a pay rate of 12 bucks an hour, I decided that the economics of that gas situation were not in my best interests. :o)

I had another job offer to be the manager of a BMW repair garage only

6 miles from home...that opportunity won out!

The Northeast area locations are in Auburn, Augusta, Bangor and Topsham, Maine, South Burlington, Vermont, Port Chester, New York, Hyannis, Mass (WWW's top-grossing location), Old Saybrook, Connecticut, and in Keene, Lebanon, Manchester, Littleton and North Conway, New Hampshire.

The feeling is that they may expand to more locations too as time goes on.

These are good stores, very similar in content to the old WWW stores, but are slanted a bit more towards the contractor as opposed to the home workshopper. They carry hard hats and ladders and stuff like that in addition to the "regular?" stuff....

Prices are pretty good though...for example...I might buy a new Delta X5 15" planer. It's usually $1199. Western's price is $1169.

BTW, anyone know where this unit is cheaper?

Hope this fills y'all in on the store developements.

Terry Sumner (Former WWW AM).

Reply to
Terry Sumner

Terry,

Thanks for taking the time to post the update. I was hoping that it was Auburn, NY where they had a store but it's in Maine. Glad to hear you found a position after WWW closed but just how do they carry wood in those Beemer's anyway?

Thanks,

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Well I guess that's why I got that new truck! LOL

Terry

Reply to
Terry Sumner