Woodworker II Saw Blade / Boshield

Page 2 of 2

Autozone carries it. I went out to Evapo-Rust's web site and used their search feature to locate a nearby store that carried it and out my way it's all Autozone. Car-heads love it for removing rust.
I found out about it when I went to my local Woodcraft and had a guy show me how to tune my newly aquired planes. He saw the rust and suggested Evapo-Rust. He said he never used it but heard lots of good things about it from his customers. It certainly worked like a charm!
`Casper
On 9/30/2010 8:03 AM, Casper wrote:

Thanks ... there is an AutoZone not far down the road. I've got a couple of old combination squares I've had since I was a teenager that I would like to restore for sentimental reasons.
I was going to try oxalic acid also, but I'll see how this stuff works too.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Lee Valley Tools also carries Evapo-Rust. The large size of the Evapo-Rust can only be bought in store, but the smaller size can be shipped. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pX771&cat=1,43415,43439&ap=1
They also have another rust remover that seems expensive, but is hightly touted. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pf065&cat=1,43415,43439&ap=1

Oxalic acid works well to remove rust from all seriously rusted wood, Swingy. But it works much better to remove the dull, oxidized, dead coating from UV-damaged wood. OA = deck cleaner.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Autozone carries the pint size, at least the stores around me do. The only way for me to get the 5 gallon is online. I wanted to order the pint online but could not find it anywhere. I'll have to keep Lee Valley in mind for when I re-order, although Autozone is only 2 minutes up the street from me.
Anyway, I was extremely please with the results. Showed the tools to a few people and they were also impressed. I love the non-toxic, biodegradable and very low smell stuff, so this one will be part of my repair kit for a long time. Oh! And you can re-use it until it turns completely black. Even safe to pour out on the lawn.
`Casper

Harbor Freight carries it at $19.99 a gallon if one's close. Autozone's $9/qt makes it $36/gal. In 5gal qty, OUCH!

If you have rust on your lawn, you have deeper problems than ER can solve, C. :^)
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

LOL.
It's actually for the subterranean peoples. They complain all the time about rust and seepage. Can't blame them with the masses of .. well you know .. that live above them.
Oonce it turns black, you don't have to look for a place to get rid of it. Safe to dump right in the ground. My suspicion is that it's citrus based but I don't know for certain.
`Casper