Woodsmith box joint jig

Page 1 of 2
Now does anyone know what issue the box joint jig that they sell plans to on the woodsmith site came from? The one that is familiar to the incra unit. The jig plans/parts have been out of stock for a long time, maybe time to see if I can get a back issue to get the plan.
On 8/1/2012 4:14 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

If you go to their web site and do a search it will tell you.
On 8/1/2012 5:21 PM, Leon wrote:

I have tried with Google but only find their commercial jig in aluminum.
Woodsmith does not have a search engine for their mags that I can find.
So that is why I ask.
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> writes:

http://index.woodsmith.com/files/ws-index-2010.pdf
On 8/1/2012 5:59 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

How did you get to that file? A google search of woodsmith and the filename doesn't even come up with that.
Also apparently although on the woodsmith store turns out it's a shop notes issue, which I can't get to an index either. Not from woodsmith/shop notes.
Only from other sites that aren't exactly in my trust ...
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> writes:

Googled "woodsmith online index". I believe it was the second link.
On 8/2/2012 10:05 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Like I said I don't get that at all. I guess google figures that here on the east coast we really don't want what you west coast guys get.
Just bizarre. For me google is starting to be less informative as a search engine ... They are so much more interested in commercial offerings that they are forgetting about just being a good search engine.
tiredofspam <nospam.nospam.com> writes:

It was the third link, http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/looking-woodsmith-magazine-index-14442 /
scroll down a bit for a link to the index.
scott
On 8/1/2012 5:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

This might have something to do with it. Or maybe not.
"Q. How do I access the online index? A. The online index is currently only available to subscribers, so you will need to log into your account to access this. Just click on Online Index under the "Other" tab above. Then complete the Subscriber Login information. Once you are logged into your account the link for the index can be found on the right under the photo of the current issue."
tiredofspam wrote:

I got my kit in June, built it and eventually ordered their aluminum jig. Can send you the kit if I can find the plans lying around.
--
G.W. Ross

Closed Hearing for the Caption Impaired...
On 8/1/2012 6:51 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Why did you go with their alum jig. I thought the wood jig receieved good reviews.. Are the alum and wood jig the same?
tiredofspam wrote:

I am using the aluminum jig and love it.
The kit had no wood in it, just the instructions & hardware. My problem was that my wood was a little under 3/4" and the instructions are for 3/4" lumber, so things did not work out just right. two of the holes would have been accurate for 3/4" but caused a bit of binding on my build. So, instead of buying more hardwood and starting over I ordered the pre-built aluminum jig.
There is no real difference in the way they work, and if you are careful with the measurements one should be as good as the other. One difference is the backer plate to prevent tearout--in the kit you make it out of a scrap of masonite and the aluminum one uses a custom plastic strip which you have to buy from them if you change your cuts a lot.
Both slide on the saw table and work smoother if you wax it.
I dismantled my kit jig and have all the parts and instructions for making the jig. It goes for $10 plus shipping. I paid 15.95 for it. G.W. Ross
If I had only known, I should have become a watchmaker. -- Einstein
On 8/1/2012 8:34 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Ok, I would like it. If this is your email address I will send you an email offline in the morn to arrange payment and shipping.
Thank you.
On 8/1/2012 8:34 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Try Bostik TopCote. No waxing needed.
--
Jack
Jack wrote:

Tried it. Went back to my spray-on wax.
--
G.W. Ross

If I had only known, I should have
On 8/2/2012 9:31 AM, G. Ross wrote:

What spray on wax is that? I've tried lots of rub on waxes, none came close to TopCotes slipperiness, durability or rust resistance. Never tried a spray on wax though.
--
Jack
On 8/2/2012 12:02 PM, Jack wrote:

Boeshield is a spray on wax.

"Boeshield T-9 is a solvent and paraffin wax based formula with over a dozen components including corrosion inhibitors. "
The Boeshield web page displays the line above and apparently it does say it's a wax, but I have to wonder what other components it contains?
On 8/2/2012 1:46 PM, Leon wrote:

I never used Boeshield. Is that what he went back to after using TopCote?
From reading a ton of posts here from Boeshield users, including you, It became clear Topcote is better in all counts to Boeshield. I know you used both and went with TopCote and a lot of others comments on Boeshield convinced me. So, if he is using Boeshield I'm not interested, if he found something else that is better than TopCote, I'm slightly interested, slightly because TopCote has met all my needs/expectations, although in my current shop I don't have a rust problem with or without TopCote. It's slippery as all get out and there is no need to wax any jigs used on TopCote'd tops.
--
Jack
On 8/3/2012 11:39 AM, Jack wrote:

I have not heard of any other spray on wax unless he is talking about a furniture polish. Through the years I have tried numerous products, I always go back to TopCote or Empire, Empire was the original maker of TopCote.

When I originally used Boeshield 13 years ago I had to lay it on so thick to protect that I had to spend too much time every time I used the saw, daily, to get the excess gunk off. If it did not have excess gunk it simply did not protect overnight.
On another note, I am going to one day reclean the surface of my saw, clean off the patina again. ;~) I am seriously considering putting a light film of TiteBondII on the surface, let dry a few minutes and then remove it. Every time I leave a drop of glue on the surface of my saw and pop the glue spot loose it reveals a clean silvery surface.