Woodsmith box joint jig

Now does anyone know what issue the box joint jig that they sell plans to on the woodsmith site came from? The one that is familiar to the incra unit. The jig plans/parts have been out of stock for a long time, maybe time to see if I can get a back issue to get the plan.

Reply to
tiredofspam

If you go to their web site and do a search it will tell you.

Reply to
Leon

I have tried with Google but only find their commercial jig in aluminum.

Woodsmith does not have a search engine for their mags that I can find.

So that is why I ask.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Scott Lurndal

I got my kit in June, built it and eventually ordered their aluminum jig. Can send you the kit if I can find the plans lying around.

Reply to
G. Ross

Why did you go with their alum jig. I thought the wood jig receieved good reviews.. Are the alum and wood jig the same?

Reply to
tiredofspam

A google search of woodsmith and the filename doesn't even come up with that.

Also apparently although on the woodsmith store turns out it's a shop notes issue, which I can't get to an index either. Not from woodsmith/shop notes.

Only from other sites that aren't exactly in my trust ...

Reply to
tiredofspam

I am using the aluminum jig and love it.

The kit had no wood in it, just the instructions & hardware. My problem was that my wood was a little under 3/4" and the instructions are for 3/4" lumber, so things did not work out just right. two of the holes would have been accurate for 3/4" but caused a bit of binding on my build. So, instead of buying more hardwood and starting over I ordered the pre-built aluminum jig.

There is no real difference in the way they work, and if you are careful with the measurements one should be as good as the other. One difference is the backer plate to prevent tearout--in the kit you make it out of a scrap of masonite and the aluminum one uses a custom plastic strip which you have to buy from them if you change your cuts a lot.

Both slide on the saw table and work smoother if you wax it.

I dismantled my kit jig and have all the parts and instructions for making the jig. It goes for $10 plus shipping. I paid 15.95 for it. G.W. Ross

If I had only known, I should have become a watchmaker. -- Einstein

Reply to
G. Ross

Ok, I would like it. If this is your email address I will send you an email offline in the morn to arrange payment and shipping.

Thank you.

Reply to
tiredofspam

I don't know about the Incra or sold plans part, but two issues that have plans are 17 page 12 and 131 page 26. Jig for anled box joints in issue 182 page 16. I use the router and Rockler's cheapie jig. Works fine, but not suitable for production runs. Not stout enough. The reference to the index has more entries under 'box joint jigs' and 'box joints', too.

-J

Reply to
Joe

Try Bostik TopCote. No waxing needed.

Reply to
Jack

Tried it. Went back to my spray-on wax.

Reply to
G. Ross

Googled "woodsmith online index". I believe it was the second link.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Like I said I don't get that at all. I guess google figures that here on the east coast we really don't want what you west coast guys get.

Just bizarre. For me google is starting to be less informative as a search engine ... They are so much more interested in commercial offerings that they are forgetting about just being a good search engine.

Reply to
tiredofspam

It was the third link,

down a bit for a link to the index.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

What spray on wax is that? I've tried lots of rub on waxes, none came close to TopCotes slipperiness, durability or rust resistance. Never tried a spray on wax though.

Reply to
Jack

Boeshield is a spray on wax.

Reply to
Leon

tiredofspam wrote in news:Tf-dnRm_

0qnUAYTNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

The answer to your question is ShopNotes Issue #8.

Reply to
Steve

Take a pint of mineral spirits, add shavings of paraffin wax. Shake every day until no more wax dissolves. Put in a spray bottle (I use an aluminum spray can that is pressurized with compressed air). Spritz on saw table, lathe ways, vise screw etc. If stained or surface rust I use a green abrasive pad, wipe off with paper towels and reapply. Wipe off with paper towel. It is best to apply in the afternoon so it will dry and harden overnight.

I have been using this for 10 years with good results and have enough to last me another decade. I'm not stingy, just frugal. It's in the blood--half scotch and half water.

Reply to
G. Ross

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:46:04 -0500, Leon

"Boeshield T-9® is a solvent and paraffin wax based formula with over a dozen components including corrosion inhibitors. "

The Boeshield web page displays the line above and apparently it does say it's a wax, but I have to wonder what other components it contains?

Reply to
Dave