Woodpeckers?

Page 3 of 3
Lee Michaels wrote:

Several years ago I was on the Girl Scout Council when they were redoing the Scout Camp. We finalized all of the contracts and started to work, when the State got involved and told us we must do an environmental survey.
The State found we had Red Cockaded woodpeckers nesting on the site and they were endangered. They told us how sensitive these birds were and how the birds had to be protected from excess noise while nesting. They gave us a long list of the things we could do and the times of day we could do it.
We complied, after all the bird was on the endangered species list. We told the contractors the conditions, and the job was completed, the state was happy, the contractors were happy, we were happy, and the girls had the renovated camp.
Later that summer, we got the news that there was a new nesting colony of red Cockaded woodpeckers on the site. At that point we realized we had forgotten to tell everyone about the state requirements for nesting woodpeckers.
Not knowing the the requirements, the Red Cockaded woodpeckers decided that a perfect place for a new nesting colony was in the tree outside of the camp dining room where hundreds of little girls ate their daily meals.
We have woodpeckers here too, but so far not pecking on my siding, only fences. A couple of ideas come to mind though.. Amazon sells a battery operate motion detecting rainbird sprinkler you might be able to aim at the area so they get a good soaking. The other is maybe to just put some of the black bird netting you get at the nursery in the area where they're pecking to block them..

Jim Hall wrote:

I'll look into that. That seems to be more cost effective than some of the dedicated bird stuff like the spikes and other things -- those solutions are downright expensive.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 04:13:45 +0000, Mark & Juanita wrote

No experience but a thought. Maybe covering favourite pecky spots with something too compliant for 'em to get any effective impact?
e.g. rubber, foam, carpet
or a set of stand offs made from wine corks or foam rubber cubes
or soft netting, again on stand-offs so beastie can't get the reach or purchase to peck effectively..
ditto a grid of nails, connected by rubber bands or fine wire?
or a sign reading "free bird seed!" an ACME rocket sled and a pot of super-everlasting-glue...
Bored Borg wrote:

Flashing on baiting a squirrel catapult
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2LtyelUr4
with bird seed.
--John

Except that since a woodpecker can fly, it would be relatively ineffective. Perhaps an automated plus size flyswatter instead?
Reminds me of the guy in US mid-west I read about. He makes a living using a jury rigged vacuum to suck gophers out of the ground and deposit them slightly dazed, but unharmed in a cage. After that they're relocated or sold to pet owners as feed for hawks and snakes or other predatory animals.
wrote in message

Oh yeah. Wallace and Gromit.
After all else fails you can get a permit to shoot them.
http://ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A '23&QB3004
klaatu wrote:

Thanks, that has a link to the fish & wildlife service; I'll look into that as well.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:44:55 -0700, Mark & Juanita

We have grackles that will chew up fascia and soffit trim like a buzz saw. A friend uses some kind of garden poison mixed with powder laundry soap and smears that paste in the appropriate areas...works real well. Kenneth
Digger wrote:

Bracka-frackin' grackles! We've got 'em all over the place here in Austin. I don't know; maybe they're good for something (like keeping down the bug population) but if they taste anything like chicken I'll bet we could solve world hunger and still have plenty to go around.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
J. Clarke wrote:
... snip

Nice catch, I have seen that before but didn't make the leap to the bird problem.
Dog food, they love dog food.

Bored Borg wrote:
... snip

Interesting thought, I wonder if that would deter them. Be easy enough to try -- add some really fine sanding dust or something really bitter. hmmm

There are bird spikes that are pretty much like that, but they are pretty expensive

I like the way you think. :-)

Blue Jays and Wood Peckers fight. WP always win, but the air battle is something to watch.
Our house used to look over a 50 foot drop (edge of a hill) and the area was littered with coastal redwoods around 125-150 feet tall.
An open area bounded on all three sides by redwoods and one side the house and more trees - was the 3-D battle ground.
Jays put acorns into holes in the redwood trees. They peck holes and press in the nut. The acid pickles the worm within and the nut seasons. The next year they come back and eat the acorns and replace them. These trees have thousands of holes that your thumb can be inserted.
Peckers peck harder so they always win. But the flight was something all birds sat out and just watched.
Maybe plastic snakes or plastic jays or a R-C Gatling gun!
Martin
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

My friend calls Bluejays the biker gang of the bird world.
--

-MIKE-