Woodpeckers?

We have woodpeckers here too, but so far not pecking on my siding, only fences. A couple of ideas come to mind though.. Amazon sells a battery operate motion detecting rainbird sprinkler you might be able to aim at the area so they get a good soaking. The other is maybe to just put some of the black bird netting you get at the nursery in the area where they're pecking to block them..

Reply to
Jim Hall

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 04:13:45 +0000, Mark & Juanita wrote (in article ):

No experience but a thought. Maybe covering favourite pecky spots with something too compliant for 'em to get any effective impact?

e.g. rubber, foam, carpet

or a set of stand offs made from wine corks or foam rubber cubes

or soft netting, again on stand-offs so beastie can't get the reach or purchase to peck effectively..

ditto a grid of nails, connected by rubber bands or fine wire?

or a sign reading "free bird seed!" an ACME rocket sled and a pot of super-everlasting-glue...

Reply to
Bored Borg

Flashing on baiting a squirrel catapult

with bird seed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Except that since a woodpecker can fly, it would be relatively ineffective. Perhaps an automated plus size flyswatter instead?

Reminds me of the guy in US mid-west I read about. He makes a living using a jury rigged vacuum to suck gophers out of the ground and deposit them slightly dazed, but unharmed in a cage. After that they're relocated or sold to pet owners as feed for hawks and snakes or other predatory animals.

Reply to
Upscale

Neighbors? Watz neighbors?

Oh.. we do have a house next to ours, but they're snow birds...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Blue Jays and Wood Peckers fight. WP always win, but the air battle is something to watch.

Our house used to look over a 50 foot drop (edge of a hill) and the area was littered with coastal redwoods around 125-150 feet tall.

An open area bounded on all three sides by redwoods and one side the house and more trees - was the 3-D battle ground.

Jays put acorns into holes in the redwood trees. They peck holes and press in the nut. The acid pickles the worm within and the nut seasons. The next year they come back and eat the acorns and replace them. These trees have thousands of holes that your thumb can be inserted.

Peckers peck harder so they always win. But the flight was something all birds sat out and just watched.

Maybe plastic snakes or plastic jays or a R-C Gatling gun!

Mart> My shop has become a target for woodpeckers and I'm fighting having them

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

My friend calls Bluejays the biker gang of the bird world.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'll look into that. That seems to be more cost effective than some of the dedicated bird stuff like the spikes and other things -- those solutions are downright expensive.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

Interesting thought, I wonder if that would deter them. Be easy enough to try -- add some really fine sanding dust or something really bitter. hmmm

There are bird spikes that are pretty much like that, but they are pretty expensive

I like the way you think. :-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... snip

Nice catch, I have seen that before but didn't make the leap to the bird problem.

Dog food, they love dog food.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Oh yeah. Wallace and Gromit.

Reply to
MikeWhy

After all else fails you can get a permit to shoot them.

klaatu

that as well.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

We have grackles that will chew up fascia and soffit trim like a buzz saw. A friend uses some kind of garden poison mixed with powder laundry soap and smears that paste in the appropriate areas...works real well. Kenneth

Reply to
Digger

Bracka-frackin' grackles! We've got 'em all over the place here in Austin. I don't know; maybe they're good for something (like keeping down the bug population) but if they taste anything like chicken I'll bet we could solve world hunger and still have plenty to go around.

Reply to
Steve Turner