Wooden outdoor furniture: Headache?

Page 2 of 2
On 7/21/2016 12:44 PM, Leon wrote:

Good eye. My son built two of these, one for a high school project that he donated to an OldTimers nursing home, and then one he made for me. I had to look back and forth to see they were a bit different. Both were built around the same time, from the same plans he got off the internet.
I wouldn't worry about sitting on PT furniture, and really wouldn't worry about it after it was coated with paint. I wouldn't eat the stuff, but even bugs and mold isn't dumb enough to eat that crap. The biggest downside (imo) to PT is cutting and sanding it. I hate working with it, but wouldn't worry much unless I did it for a living, day in and day out.
--
Jack

Going off on a tangent, but 20 years ago there was a big fuss for people planting teak trees in Central America. Costa Rica mostly. I wonder what happened with that. It always came across as a bit of an investment scam - "send us your money and you'll own this tree! And in 20 years we'll cut it down and sell the wood, and you'll get 10x your money back!".
John

I own three stars. LOL

I own some prime real estate on the Moon. I'll strike it rich before you will. ;-)
On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:59:41 -0400

kiln dried is what swing sets are made from
there are so many fastener choices that it is better to design what kind of table you want and then go find the fastener
if you want detachable legs you could just use bolts and big wingnuts

Make it out of Trex?

+1
If you plan on painting (or any finish that will hide any color variations in the wood or other wood-like features, Trex is wonderful stuff. Looks just like painted wood.
-BR
On 7/20/2016 10:59 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Ipe, Teak, Mahogany, Redwood
Or and I have seen this multiple times, furniture bouilt out of the composit decking materials. I have seen this in multiple colors, blue, yellow, brown, green, red, white and the normal deck colors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=composite+deck+furniture&rlz 1CHUE_enUS575US575&espv=2&biw80&bihe3&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved hUKEwizy7y93ITOAhVZImMKHXO9ByoQ_AUIBygC
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 12:00:01 PM UTC-4, Greg Guarino wrote:

I have a wooden patio set that I bought at the end of season many years ago . It has weathered to a nice grey finish. It sits on a concrete patio dur ing the summer, where it is exposed to the sun and wind. I put it inside f or the winter months here in Toronto (usually October to April). It has la sted longer and looks better than any of my neighbours plastic or aluminum/ glass sets. I have often considered refinishing it in oil but have never d one so knowing that if I do it once, I will have to keep doing it.