Wooden Grate - How to do it

I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock. I want to cut dado's (?) 1/2-way through the 3/4" square stock (X" long) such that they intersect such that the "holes" formed are 3/4" square and the top an bottom surfaces of the assembled "grate" are uniform (relatively) surfaces.
I have a TS, Chop / Miter Saw and porter cable router(s).
I would like to find a jig such that I can index the cuts (as on a box joint jig - or some other lzy man's approach.
I am not building furniture!
Any links to plans for jig or how to article(s) would b appreciated.
Hoosierpopi wrote:

looks like a non-starter. But if you only mean with the same projection ... give what you've described a try ... it looks like you already know the answer.
Cut the dado 1/2 way through (or SLIGHTLY proud of 1/2 way) then turn the pieces 90 deg. and run them through again.
If appearance is critical, make a sled with a 3/4 runner on the top (as well as any on the bottom) spaced 3/4" away from the edge of the dado blade. Make the first cut against the runner and slip it over the runner for the rest.
Just my best guess and 2 cents worth.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Cut the dados on wider boards first then rip the board into 3/4" strips. Less work, and you don't have to worry about tearout.
If you have a dado set for the TS set that's probably your best bet.
If you have a crosscut sled for your TS then you could cut spacer blocks that are 1.5". Set a stop on the sled, make a pass, add a block, make a pass...
-Leuf
Hoosierpopi wrote:
> I want to make a wooden "grate." out od 3/4 stock.
Very straight forward process using a T/S, a sled, and a dado.
Get Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.
He fully describes the process, complete with pics and sketches, for making teak cockpit grates for sailboats.
Lew

Pretty simple with the router if you've got the ponies for a 3/4 bit and a table. http://www.routerworkshop.com/boxjoints.html
Check the sliding dovetail section for ideas. I make grid trivets the same way you make a grid.

What he said, or a "locating finger" ala box joint jig, used in a similar manner on a sled or sacrificial miter gauge fence.