Wood is expensive

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 7:11pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth queryeth: Why be happy? Rome was the bright hope of the world at the time.

Yeah, if you were Roman.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Yeah, and there were two ways to get to be Roman--be borne there or get conquered.

Reply to
J. Clarke

One could also pay for citizenship -- often a fairly substantial amount of money.

IIRC, being a citizen of a conquered country did not make one a Roman, it only made one subject to Roman rule and a second class citizen relative to the real Roman citizens.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

you disconnect a remote terminal from the computer, and it won't

Not at all, a remote terminal that is powered on will accept input, process the keystrokes and produce output. You will note the evidence of this on the remote terminal's monitor (if there is one) or at the pin outs of the RS232C or other communications port.

Translating the "input" of one pressing the key in the upper left corner of the keyboard into an "Escape" string, for instance, is processing based upon software embedded in the ROM chips. That, absent a monitor, you can see no evidence of this processing and concomitant output does not prove the absence of the processing or delivery of the output.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

innews: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3334.bay.webtv.net:

but not a microcomputer.

Actually, it is microcomputer. A term applied to the generation(s) of computing devices employing micro-electronics ("chips") instead of te original vacuum tubes, and relays employed in Einacs and such. The IBM PC was one microcomputer, as was the Radio Shack Models I, II, II, , Sinclair, Apple all PERSONAL Microcomputers as opposed to DECs and such which were "impersonal" (:

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Sat, Jan 26, 2008, 9:31am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Hoosierpopi) On Jan 25, 1:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote: Initially, the term "computer" was a job title.

No I didn't, I didn't write any of that.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Sat, Jan 26, 2008, 9:37am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Hoosierpopi) claimeth: Not at all, a remote terminal that is powered on will accept input, process the keystrokes and produce output.

Not the ones I was working with. Unplug them from the computer, and they just sit there. Period. You could type on the keyboard all day long, and there would be zip on the screen. They didn't accept any input, they didn't put out any output, they didn't process zip. They accessed the mainframes, and that was it. Monitor, and keyboard, that was it. I'm ignoring you guys from here on out.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Had the echo setting turned off. That might be a switch or a keystroke combination.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Lou Newell

Most people wouldn't think of a Tivo as a "computer". Plug one into a network and try to telnet the IP address and see what happens.

Reply to
J. Clarke