wood for grilling planks

What woods are good for grilling planks and how thick should they be? Looked at the local borg and they had western cedar, two planks,, for $8. I know Alder is another one. Also, how long to soak them in water? The ones at the borg said one hour, but that doesn't seem very long for something going into a grill at 350 degrees. I read the directions on the ones at the borg, but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much for them.
Thanks for any info. Jimmy

If you don't believe the instructions about soaking the wood for an hour, why would you believe anything we tell you?
Experiment and do as you see fit.

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/plankrecipes.htm
Search "planked salmon" for other recipes and methods.

Almost forgot - the ignition temperature of the plank exceeds 350 degrees (~570F). Now does it make sense?
Thanks for the info. I know people here have mentioned using planks before, didn't know the ignition temp. of the wood.

This is my specialty. Use regular (non-treated) cedar fence boards. Plane or sand one side so you don't get splinters in the fish.. Cut to length to fit your BBQ, or the number of filets you're cooking. Soak for an hour, spray a little PAM on the top. Place fish on board. Add a pat of butter and some "Old Bay" seasoning. Put in the BBQ with low/medium heat under the board and high heat on the side. (So most of the heat comes from above. Cook for about 10-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it. Your guests will rave about it.
Bob

don't be afraid to try a nice pork tender loin on a cedar plank, do a rub with brown sugar rosemary paprika and a little garlic heat until the center hits 160 and let it taste good. depending on the size of the loin only takes about 20 min. oh ya i forgot sear the roast before planking it. ross www.highislandexport.com cedar planks on site

That's over done! I take tenderloins off at 125, loins at 145 to 150.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > That's over done! I take tenderloins off at 125, loins at 145 to 150.
Especially since the meat continues to cook, if you let it rest.
Lew
Can the boards be reused without having to plane off 1/4" from each side? Thanks, JG

if your just going to the lumber yard to get your cedar, be aware that it may have been treated for insects or fungis or you could just season with a little diazinon or diathane if you feel the need for the treating. i agree paying 8 bucks seems a little bit much but it's cheaper than cancer treatment. then again i've seen people try to make fine furniture outta pallets ross
On Jul 15, 8:39 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote:

Very true...I told the yard that I was using the cedar for grilling and was told the cedar was not treated in any way. This was from the guy in the nice shirt at the front counter, not the 17 year-old in the ripped T-shirt driving the forklift.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

And this nicely dressed fellow would be sure to know what might have been done at the kiln as it was dried even if it wasn't preservative treated?
(Not that its very likely w/ cedar and I'm not suggesting it was, simply questioning the reliance of the information source as being infallible... :) )
thanks Derb, as far as the guy with the nice shirt knowing anything puts me in mind of how much loggers here in minnesota do not know about logs, they yust cut'tm down cut'tum up and take'm to da mill. ross
Ross Hebeisen wrote:

Yah! :)
I just use cedar sinding shingles. They are thin, tapered to a thin edge and usually not treated with anything.
dpb wrote:

Doesn't the thin edge catch on fire? Even when I round over the edges on the 1 x stock, I sometimes get some flames around the edges. Spritz Spritz.
No. They're burnt on the bottom, and have fish goop on the top. Make sure they're not smoldering and toss them.
Bob

$8 for 2 grilling planks?
I go to my local lumber yard and buy a 1 x 8 x 8' S1S board for about $11. I cut it into 12" lengths and round over the edges to keep them from flaming up.