Scaffold Planks

I have a hall, stairs and landing to paint. The ceilings are 9 foot high so the highest point of the landing ceiling is 16 feet from the stair tread directly below it, if you see what I mean. Due to a bannister rail and spindles I cannot get a ladder across the stairs from the landing area. I am thinking of using ladders and a plank or two to reach this part. Will a scaffold plank supprt my weight (14 stone) over a 7 foot span and also where can I get a plank from without resorting to nicking one from a building site ;^)? I live in Leeds.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I am sure that the regulars will all laugh at me for this but I have recently painted the landing ceiling. I didn't have a ladder tall enough to reach and I would have needed boards to do some parts any way. Rather than go through all that messing about I zip tied a paint brush to an aluminium pole and painted it that way. You can't tell that I did it like that and the cutting in is perfect. If I ever had to do it again that is how I would do it. The only thing I would recommend with this approach is that you put the lighter coat (probably the ceiling) on first.

Reply to
doozer

Use a couple of lengths of 4x2 with some ply, OSB or similar nailed to the top. Cut to lenght so that there's only a small gap between the support nd the stair riser and end wall. Nail or tape some padding to the ends. Keep the thing in the garage or somewhere for future use. You could even consider making a hinged contraption specially for the job.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I got some from Jewsons, they told me they hadn't sold any in years.

I've had a span of more like 11' between 2 ladders using 2 boards thickness to reduce springyness.

My decorators at my old house did exactly what I think you are describing to paper the wall to the side of the staircase.

Bit risky of course.

Reply to
basil

A hire shop. You can also hire scaffold tower parts there, to make up a proper stairway platform, if you want.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Besy place to buy them is a hire shop as they have to replace them every so often to meet some reg or other. I'd put a couple on top of each other for your weight.

Reply to
Mike

I've got two outside my front door - help yourself if I'm not in. I live in Liverpool.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

Available from most good builders merchants for £20 ish, alternatively length of 8x2 x3Mt is about £8.

-- Mark§

Reply to
Mark

It will support you, but will sag, better to use 2, one on top the other.

However the easiest thing to do is to buy a 14 foot 3 *8 (or similar) and cut it in two, it will more than hold you .......

Rick

Reply to
Rick